Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #1 
wickedrodent

Tank help and suggestions

Hello there! In my adult life, I've had two bettas. My current one is my third. We just got him on Tuesday in a spontaneous shopping trip to walmart. He was way too pretty to pass up!

My first betta lived in this tank:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

It's 1.5 gallons and the tank that our new betta is living in temporarily. I HATED the filter that went with the tank, and the size was a bit small for what I wanted, so I eventually upgraded. Right now he's in there without a filter until we can find him a permanent home.

My second tank was this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-Aq...olors/14660257

I much preferred the filter on this one, but it did seem to get dirtier a lot quicker. My second betta had a severe case of tail/fin rot that I treated with little success. He eventually passed away.

What's your favorite tank? Something that can be found at petco, petsmart, walmart, or target is preferable, but I'm not opposed to ordering something online.

Suggestions for gravel, plants, accessories is also helpful.

I do have a table that I'd prefer to keep the tank on. I'm looking for a different spot in my house that could hold a larger tank, however. The second tank that I had BARELY fit on the table.

I was looking at this tank:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

Does anyone have experience with it?

I also never realized that bettas need a heater. We have a 29 gallon for my fiance's RES and platys that has a heater, but I figured my betta would be alright without one. Guess I was wrong?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to get him into his new tank as soon as possible. Hopefully within the next week or so. Price isn't THAT big of a deal, but I just spend $200 of my vet fund towards my new rescue ferret's teeth surgery, so anything that could save money is great!
wickedrodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #2 
Laki

The Marina looks fine to me!! Actually I contacted someone today who was selling them on my local classified! And I believe that's the tank my cousin used for breeding guppies many years ago. It's a nice design, I would use it. I used Elite filters before and I liked them ^^ You might need a small heater for the betta. And I could not use all that gravel!! It takes away swimming space. One layer should suffice. Make sure that plastic plant that it comes with is not serrated on the edges, I suppose you know that since you already have betta's but I made the mistake!

Off topic, does your fiance keep her RES turtle with the platy's as food?? Bc turtles are SO messy that I know they would mess up a tank someone wants to keep tropical fish in.. Not to mention that turtles would happily chase down and eat fish!! :D I kept RES for like 12 years and anything that went in wiggling came out as poop sludge in the filter.

Last edited by Laki; 08-25-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 
Creat

I suggest that people buy a larger tank becuase a cycle is harder to keep in a smaller tank then a large one, try to get a 5 gallon it will save you in the future... plus I would suggest what ever you else you would want :) a nice tank you only have to buy once so yeah they can be a little expensive but try craigslist or goodwill sometimes they have something.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 
wickedrodent

Thanks for the quick replys!

I'm debating between that Marina tank and this 5 gallon:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

The problem right now is space. The 5 gallon wouldn't fit on the little table that I have, so I'd have to see if my grandparents would mind me putting it somewhere in the living room/kitchen. My room is TINY. Lol. If not, I might see if my fiance's pet room has any free space. I'll be moving in there after we get married next year, but I'd much prefer to keep the little guy here for now.

He's actually in the kitchen temporarily, but my grams hasn't come home to potentially complain yet, so we'll see. xD We have cats, which is another possible issue with having him outside of my room. Covers are great and all, but cats can be determined!

My fiance's RES is a lazy little thing compared to most. xD He ate 3 fish that we put in there (all black and white) but has left our last two (red/orange) alone. They're quite big now and have learned how to get away from him. I can't say they won't be turtle food in the future, but they've lasted months at this point. He is messy, but the fish have actually seemed to help with that, somehow. They don't seem to be doing badly. We're planning on upgrading to a 100-150 gallon stock tank next year after we get married and have a chance to pull up the carpet in the "pet room".
Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #5 
wickedrodent

I just went and measured the table. It's 12" long and 11.5" wide. The 5 gallon is 16" long so that means it would hang off the table by 2" on each side. It's 8" wide, so at least that's okay. Do you think that would be really unsteady? It's really the only spot I have for a tank in my room. The 2.65 gallon is 12" x 7" so it would JUST fit length wise.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #6 
Laki

nah. 2 inches is nothing- the heart of the weight is in the center.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #7 
wickedrodent

I think I'll probably go with the 5 gallon. There's mixed reviews concerning the filter that goes with the tank so I'm going to try and look at it before buying it. I'm pet-sitting all day tomorrow and I have a pre-marriage counseling thingy to go with to my fiance saturday, so I'll probably get it sunday or monday.

I have a couple of options to put it at this point. My first choice would be that table. If it doesn't feel stable enough, I'll try out the lowest shelf on my bookshelf or on top of a dresser in our office. I'm sure something'll work. xD