Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #1 
Squigles

Question Help with Betta Fish families

Since I didn't know what to do, I read some other Threads. Well, I am a highly sensitive person and I would appreciate it if some people could actually tell me something about this website because I have never seen it before. I have had a Betta fish before but it got old before we could buy another one so I'm not used to having 2.
I have 2 Betta Fish and wish to breed them. I did some research and found that they can have a lot of babies. My mom said I could breed them but what would we do with all the babies? Should I sell them, give them away, or give them to the pet store? I can only keep a few but will it be bad if they get separated? How many babies do Veiltail Betta Fish usually have? And what kind of container? Please help.
Squigles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, bettas can have a LOT of babies. It can be quite expensive to breed bettas because they need a breeding tank with a heater, plants and plenty of places for thge female to hide. The babies need a growout tank and they need mostly live foods to eat. They cannot eat what adults eat. Bbreeding is a big responsibility. The fry tank needs to be cleaned daily and water changes need to be done constantly. When the male and female are put together they need constant supervision because there will be aggression during the breeding process. That's pretty normal. Then, while raising the fry, they need constant care and supervision, also. If you're the kind of person who is busy with school and hanging out with friends and don't really have thge time then breeding isnb't for you. I'm not trying to be mean or discourage you but there are a lot of things to consider before making the decision to breed. They can have up to several hundred babies and most people sell or give their fish to family and friends.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #3 
Squigles

Thank you very much. What kind of live food?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #4 
cajunamy
Banned

Microscopic foods b/c the fry are practically microscopic themselves. Like, less than 1/8 inch long.

Also, DQ mentioned the cost - you'll need hundreds of dollars for the setup. Several grow out tanks, at leatst 50 jars. I have spent well near $2000 and I'm only on my second spawn.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Microworms, walter worms, vinegar eels, newly hatched brine shrimp. Stuff like that. A lot of that stuff you have to have cultures for. Your mom may not appreciate worms in her refridgerator. lol
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Edit:: LOL, DQ, that's why I don't have worms...I tired 'em once and they stank up my entire apartment! ><

Over $500 here...and on my 2nd as well.
You'll need to do a LOT more research before even thinking of attempting to breed.
I feed my new hatched fry BBS (Baby Brine Shrimp) and usually just stick to that. Some others feed microworms, walterworms, bananaworms...
As for tanks... usually a spawning tank is around 5-10 gallons. I personally use a 3 gal, as it's what works for me best.
For grow-outs, I use a 20gal., and have two more spare 10 gals. You'll also need 100+ jars (I have the quart pickle jars used for canning) when your fish (males) get older and start fighting.
Some people sell to Petstores, some sell them online, others give them away- it's really your preference to where you sell them. Me- all my friends at college want at least two each and my local petstore also said they would take in any extras.

Sorry for seeming "rude" in the previous thread. The OP wanted the thread closed and I figured that continuing to post in it would seem rather rude itself...
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #7 
Squigles

It's okay.
As soon as the babies are born, is it okay if I immediately separate them from the parents?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

When the parents have spawned, and thanks to cajun who said to leave her in there for 12 hours after he squeezes her, take the female out. Then when the fry are free swimming, you can take the father out. Boiled egg (the yolk is what you need) is good along with microworms and "infusoria" which by the way your tank has SOME in, just not enough to feed every little fry.

Also a tip so not to be discouraged, if it is the betta's first time as a parent this spawn may not turn out. But that is apparently normal :) And it's okay.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You don't keep babies with the parents. That's why research is so important, so you'll know these things. The female is removed immediately after spawning and the male is kept in the spawning tank until the fry are free swimming.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

You also have to research the signs, and how to condition. Keep in mind some bettas are ready in 24 hours, others ready in a few weeks. There are signs for readiness, and signs of stress (female) which are very important. Along with a hiding spot or two for the female. The male DOES bully her, and sometimes can kill her which is why you need a stretch of a few days to keep an eye on them.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote