Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can close the thread for you, Sena, if you want.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #22 
cajunamy
Banned

I also agree that the plastic poisoning isn't real ... something else is stressing him out. I have MANY plastic containers and none of them have ever done any harm to any of my fish. I would look closer into his water conditions.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

Didn't I read something nabout some plastic bins containing something toxic?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #24 
Punki

I also read something about that Drama, im too tired to research atm but my mother was even telling me not to re-use gallon jugs more then a few times because the plastic has been said to be leaking something toxic. It may only be things made of recycled plastic, im not sure.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #25 
Squigles

I just joined like 2 days ago and I really want to breed my fish. I have 1 male and 1 female. I looked online and it said that I have to put the male in the main breeding tank first,let the male claim his territory, put the female in a separate but smaller container and put it in the male's tank and let them get to know each other but without actually touching or fighting. I put the two tanks next to each other and they keep facing each other. Is this right? What should I do? I can't breed them until I get a larger tank though and a net...and a bunch of other containers for the male babies. Please help.
Squigles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #26 
bahamut285

For the plastics and reusing bottles and such, one should only be wary of the recycle number at the bottom of most plastic products. If it is a low number like 1 or 2, it is generally fine; the cancer society doesn't recognize these plastics to have any health concerns. You should be careful of things labelled 6 or 7 (like styrofoam cups). You can still use them for something temporary, but it is not recommended for anything permanent. I know when I get them from restaurants, I always transfer my food to a proper Tupperware container.

Like I said in my other post, you don't get "plastic poisoning".
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #27 
GreenTea

Hi Squigles, I would reccomend researching the threads posted in this area of the forum for more information. You will need to condition your fish with certain kinds of foods, and have a heater and filter for the fry tank, amongst other things. Good luck.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squigles View Post
I just joined like 2 days ago and I really want to breed my fish. I have 1 male and 1 female. I looked online and it said that I have to put the male in the main breeding tank first,let the male claim his territory, put the female in a separate but smaller container and put it in the male's tank and let them get to know each other but without actually touching or fighting. I put the two tanks next to each other and they keep facing each other. Is this right? What should I do? I can't breed them until I get a larger tank though and a net...and a bunch of other containers for the male babies. Please help.
Hi, Squigles and welcome to the forum. If you start a thread in the breeding section then more people will see it and will be able to answer your questions. We have several very knowledgeable and experienced breeders who would be more than happy to answer yoiur questions.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #29 
cajunamy
Banned

Yes, some plastics can be toxic. You have to look at the numbers.

Data sheet for acrylic sheeting http://www.professionalplastics.com/...FDataSheet.pdf

And if you search acrylic aquariums, many aquariums, the kind you pay to go to with the sharks and such, use acrylic for their tanks. The fish do not get poisoned from it.

Acrylic tanks have been around for many years, and my point is that if they were toxic, there would be many people that would have dead fish from their tanks.

Last edited by cajunamy; 09-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #30 
Punki

Thanks for clearing that up. Useful information to have, i had no idea Styrofoam was more prone to becoming toxic. :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote