Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 
tlyons01

What in the world is this funk in meh tank???

OK, I am about midway thru cycling this 5 gallon tank. I bought a heater after the cycling had started to replace the set temp one that I had when I started. Now, tonight, I just so happened to see this white stringy looking stuff all over the suction cups and top base area of the heater. It is the only place that I see it... What is this crazy stuff??
Attached Images

Last edited by tlyons01; 08-25-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: forgot pics
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 
dragonflie

Probably just biofilm, the rubbery things in my tank (such as any suction cups and airline tubing) tend to show it the most.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #3 
flowerslegacy

Is that what it's called? Biofilm??! I was part of another thread and we called it tank snot :) I get it on the rubber suction cups of my heater too, but only in my 25 gal. During a water change, I slowly removed the cups and washed it away. It's never returned. My LFS said it may be algea? PewPewPew suggested protein. It's pretty thick stuff though but was harmless to my tank. Thanks @dragonflie - now it has a name!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote