Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #1 
StarBetta

Exclamation What To Do?

Hi guys i was wondering since the hurricane is hitting in my area what should i do with my betta. (ex. house floods) should i put him and the tetra (or platy idk) in cups? Please answer. i wouldnt want to lose my fishies
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 
Leeniex

Are you near the shoreline? I am inland a bit and I just filled some clean gallon jugs with water so I can still do water changes.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
StarBetta

no im in the city area. (New york)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #4 
Banicks

Good luck guys, I'm reading about it now in the news. Hope it all passes quietly or misses everyone completely!

Something manageable seems like a good idea for when/if water shortages occur. Perhaps head down to your local supermarket and pick up one of those large plastic water brand things. It'll be full of spring water and whatever, use that for yourself, put in jugs, drink water etc. Take the cap off or make one, then fill with tap water or what not and water condition it perhaps?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #5 
StarBetta

wait put the fish in water bottles? okay that seems like a good idea
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #6 
Princess Penny

I think they mean to buy some water jugs, or fill some empty jugs with water so that you have water on hand for water changes for your fish in case there is a shortage or your water gets turned off. I used to live on a well and we did this because if the power went out, so did our water pump and we would be without water. So we filled up empty milk jugs with water and kept them in a cabinet for when this happened, so we had water to flush the toilet and drinking water for our pets, etc.

ETA: If your house floods or you have to evacuate for any reason, you could probably put your fish in cups temporarily. You could go to the pet store and by those little plastic "critter carriers" or whatever they are called, or even a small aquarium, something like this perhaps?

Last edited by Princess Penny; 08-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #7 
Laki

I always wondered what people do in case of emergency with fish tanks. I don't live in a danger zone so it never applied to me. Worst we gets is over 100km winds. I had my gourami's die on me when the power went out once and it was devastating that I couldn't do more. The water bottle thing is a good idea, be careful to clean the bottles though!! Those plastic bottles carry nasty bacteria that is harmful to humans if let to have too much sun during transportation!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #8 
StarBetta

oh i have that tank! good thing i didnt throw it out. :)
Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #9 
aurasoulful

We had a tank with green gouramis and barbs that died during a power outage. How could you retain heat in your aquarium if your power goes out for more then a few days? (Happened to us before...) I don't want the beta to get sick in case it happens again this winter.. Any ideas? Good topic to bring up btw
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #10 
StarBetta

good question. what i would do is try to find a warm battery-powered source. maybe a special type of flashlight?