Old 08-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #1 
FairladyZ

Unhappy ???

Why do people fight there Bettas what's the fun out of that seeing them fight
FairladyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #2 
LaLaLeyla

I dont know : /
People think tha because there "cheap" pets, people wont care if they fight them x.x
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

I read somewhere that in ancient times, Chinese emperors fought bettas for entertainment... but yes, they are still doing it.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #4 
FairladyZ

╭--------╮
╰╮〥----〥╭╯
╭╯╰----╯╰╮
║~~~~~~~~~║ 
║◢██◣◢~~~~║ 
║◥██◤◥~~~~║
║~~◢██◣◢~~║
║~~◥██◤◥~~║
╰═=========
FairladyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #5 
fightergirl2710

In Thailand its actually a traditional sport. People breed bettas to have the toughest scales and aggression. They fight the plakat type bettas and bet money like how people elsewhere bet on the horses. Anyway, these guys take pretty good care of their bettas, never let the losers die, always tend to wounds etc. The fish are making them money after all and it is something they've been doing for centuries. The people that get on my nerves are stupid teenagers who think oh fun and just pit bettas against each other as you said, just for fun. :( These thoughtless bozos are just sadists..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #6 
SnowySurface

I don't understand how people can veiw any animal as 'replacable', but that's how animal fighters see it. Fish, dog, rooster, and all other animals that are fought are just seen as tools or resources that make money. Even the animals that win will be tossed if they are too injured to win again. It's very sad and inhumane no matter which species of animal is killed or forced to kill for entertainment. :(
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Cultural tradition, I guess. In SE Asia (IDK about other places) fighting animals - fish, roosters, etc. - is very common..... that's how I got to know them back in the mid 70's..... before I understood the value of any life. Now in my area it's prohibited mainly because gambling is against the law. But people still fight them.

And I don't think they take good care of them. Not the ones that loses on his first fight..... people just throw them away. Sad, but true. The money makers are treated well though and will be bred to produce more "killers".

Though I'm against it now, yet I can understand why people in my country still fight them. Besides making money (gambling), what special moves or "killing" punch do they have..... similar to boxing, I guess ...???
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #8 
Luimeril

in Thailand, they're taken good care of before and after the fight, and the fights stop once one betta submits.

here, however.... it's because it's "funny". i've seen videos on youtube of kids(yeah. kids. younger than me, and i'm 23) plopping two walmart veiltails in a bowl and laughing it up, making bets, getting mad when they don't fight. it's sick.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

it is very sad for betta's to do this. no one cares about fish but they care about dogs, roosters,etc. am only 13 and i will NEVER do that there is people that are older than me to do this , why?? because no one ever cares about betta's there like 2.00 for one so they think they are all the same. they are loosing valuable lives, every betta is different even they might have the same color, but they DON'T have the same personality. this is considered "abuse" but no one wants to stop it why? "ohh, there only like two dollars, no big deal i just could buy another". isn't dog fights like illegal or something? but when fish fight they think it is just a fish, no problems. if someone finally stood up there will be a way lower percentage on fighting betta's or any other fish. only thing about betta's fighter (people) only worry about is there money, they don't care if they die though. when i looked on how to breed betta's i always see " BETTA FISH FIGHT!" or " SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH FIGHTING" or even" VT male betta VS CT male betta" like those. i understand snakes eating mice, because that is just course of nature but MAKING betta's fight isn't it is just r-tarded people just want to get popular on the internet, or wants attention. am sick of this cruelty but no one really cares besides this whole site. no thinks it is a cruelty because it's just fish. this is very sickening to others to see that it might encourage them to do one of there own, but we put dislikes on these video's they think it is just a joke or something and they'll make more. i just really want this to end.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #10 
Laki

Because some kids are raised to mimic their parents' way of life. My neighbors across the street (I live in a cul-de-sac) have 2 small boys (aged 4 and 6 I'd say) and I watched the father beat their little dog when it got out before. Couple weeks ago I seen the youngest boy drag the dog up the stairs to get it inside when it got outside again. It's so upsetting but people wil do what they're taught to do, regardless of morals. It's a human trait to feel that your "ways" are god's ways anyway -_-
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote