Betta Fish Forum banner

Noob Tank ? - Here's What I know

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Punki 
#1 ·
So I want to get a Betta and I've been doing my homework. I don't yet have my fish as I want to get everything set up and good to go first. Also, I've never had a fish before.

I got a tank last night ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Gallon-Aquarium-Kit/13448744 ) but I'm going to take it back as I thought it was a bit too cheaply made - and hard to assemble correctly. Also the current would be too much for a beta.

So, can you guys help point me in a better direction?

Here's What I Know:

I want it to be at least 2-3 gallons. A filter would make water changes easier, but I'm okay with having to do a 50 and 100% change in a 2 or 2.5 once a week.

I'll need a heater. - For a 2-3 gallon tank I should be okay with a 10 watt heater.

I have an outside thermometer - I'll be getting a regular one as well.

I'll need food - High protein Betta food. I know there's a great debate between pellets and flakes. o.0 Who's on what side and what do you suggest?

Decor - I've got the rocks and now I know that non rough/sharp plastics and ceramics are okay. Yaaay! And I'll need a cave. I wanted the Betta Hammock, but then heard the Zoo Med Betta Hammocks aren't safe, so.. on to something else.

---

So my question is (yay, she's finally getting to the point) - What am I missing? What do you guys suggest?

See less See more
#2 ·
So I want to get a Betta and I've been doing my homework. I don't yet have my fish as I want to get everything set up and good to go first. Also, I've never had a fish before.

I got a tank last night ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Gallon-Aquarium-Kit/13448744 ) but I'm going to take it back as I thought it was a bit too cheaply made - and hard to assemble correctly. Also the current would be too much for a beta.

Here's What I Know:

I want it to be at least 2-3 gallons. A filter would make water changes easier, but I'm okay with having to do a 50 and 100% change in a 2 or 2.5 once a week.

I'll need a heater. - For a 2-3 gallon tank I should be okay with a 10 watt heater.

I'll need food - High protein Betta food. I know there's a great debate between pellets and flakes. o.0 Who's on what side and what do you suggest?

Decor - I've got the rocks and now I know that non rough/sharp plastics and ceramics are okay. Yaaay! And I'll need a cave. I wanted the Betta Hammock, but then heard the Zoo Med Betta Hammocks aren't safe, so.. on to something else.

---

So my question is (yay, she's finally getting to the point) - What am I missing? What do you guys suggest?
Walmart sells a really nice standard glass 5 gallon tank for around the same price as that 3 gallon. I have the 5 gallon kit and I love it. :) Once the 5 gallon is cycled 1 50% water change weekly is fine.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...=20410906973908775107&wmlspartner=59JLB7sBj1c

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...=11298402531232831395&wmlspartner=59JLB7sBj1c

A variety of foods is best IMO. I feed a mix of frozen (bloodworms, brine shrimp) and New Life Spectrum betta formula. I also have some high protein flakes, but most of my guys don't like them too much.

You can check decor for safety by rubbing the items against nylon hose. If it snags, its no good for a bettas fins. You can use coffee mugs, coconuts, terracotta pots and jars for caves.The betta hammock has been known to fall apart, leaving the wire part exposed.. but it can easily be made safe with a few dots of aquarium sealant. Some people choose to make their own DIY betta hammocks.

#3 · (Edited)
Couple things to add to Littlebittyfish

1. Flake or Pellets doesnt really matter, feed what they will eat some fish wont eat one or the other...

2. Bloodworms are more of a treat than a sustainable food.

3. High protein foods are great, but be sure to only feed what they can eat in 2- 3 mins.. Over feeding High protein foods can cause ammonia spikes..

I feed like this:
Morning: Formula Two Flake food
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr...a-two-flake-food/prodFormulaTwoFlakeFood.html

Evening: New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula ( mind you I have young )
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr...mula/prodNewLifeSpectrumSmallFishFormula.html

For average size fish New Life Spectrum Community Fish Formula
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr.../prodNewLifeSpectrumCommunityFishFormula.html

I also have very young fry so I feed 3 times a day for those and feed crushed flake/pellets with Hikari First Bites....

I have bloodworms also but they are not a solo meal item...
I also toss in a Brine shrimp ice cube every once in a while but mind you food items that small are typically for Fry and filter feeders ( i.e. Freshwater clams )

One more thing I have an army of Assassin Snails and Long-finned albino bristlenose plecos that patrol my tanks for left over food..

#6 ·
I also feed twice a day because Lakitu looks as if we're starving him to death if we don't -_-' I also abide by the 1 day off rule. I only feed Laki for 6 days of the week. Lest he get fat!! I feed Omega One pellets and every couple of days he'll get a bloodworm or two. He never had a taste for flakes.. My sister's betta likes flakes though and not pellets. So, as others mentioned, it's a matter of seeing which one he likes!

#8 ·
I go by the size of the belly myself, as the pellets are indeed different sizes and you have to adjust feeding based on it.

I am one of those that tends to feed lighter, as it keeps the belly in a healthy place. ;) Not to fat, and not too skinny. So I only feed once a day, and that's in the morning. I do what I can to avoid constipation; and that includes feeding light.

Feeding at night right before they sleep might also give them a tendency to constipate (just my opinion here) as they are filling up their systems with food right before their systems slow down for the night.

#9 ·
@dragonflie

The night feeding thing is not much of a concern in my current tanks because they are Fry and need the extra. And I really feed around 5-6 pm and there tank is on 10 hour daylight timer till 8pm..

But yes you should learn recognize what your fish needs... they are all different...

#11 ·
Understood, I wasn't talking about babies, just adult bettas. ;)

#10 ·
If anything, you could always try the betta log instead of the leaf hammock. It is more expensive (I bought mine at a cheaper price by browsing online ^.^), but I think it's well worth it. The one thing that I've noticed other people say about it is when they clean it, eventually over time paint starts chipping off... Although, all those people said the paint didn't seem to be coming off while sitting in the tank >.>... I have yet to experience it, but I got my log a few days ago. Anyway, the cool thing about the log is that it provides a place to hide, your fish can chill near the surface (which bettas are usually more like 'top swimming' fish to begin with), and provides an airway for them to breathe through. I know my fish seems to love it ^.^; Scared me a few times 'cause he just up and disappeared a few times, but he was actually in the log taking a nap or resting xD
If you're worried about regular filters, you can always opt for a sponge filter. Especially seeing as how you're not pushing for anything large like a 10g. Sponge filters are convenient, you can control the output of the air filter by getting a gang valve so it won't be too much for your betta, and it helps cycling moreso than a regular filter would and you won't have to worry about it pushing your fish around or tearing up its fins ^.^ You can also make your own at a cheaper price. Although, sponge filters generally cheap to begin with.
Also when you do pick out a tank, like I said above, bettas are more of a top level swimmer, so they enjoy being at the surface more often and like to sleep there if at all possible. So try to find a tank that is more long than it is tall.

#12 ·
I have and use the 3g tank you bought, you can adjust the filtration by turning the airpump, you can make it very softly bubble. But i also had issues with it, the tube has a guard, but its far too big and my adult male could fit into the tube and did 2 times before i had to mesh that up. Theres also much debate on undergravel filters being good/bad but for me, after 2 months i had a cycle, but not a 100% stable one so it was donig something. I dont blame you for wanting to change tanks though, something with a real filter and more width then hieght is much better for a betta and as much as that aquaview costs, you could get something nicer. Not to mention when i contacted aquaview 360 makers about my issues i never got a response -.-

Here's What I Know:

---

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.