Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 
fisherish

Help please!

I'm relatively new to betta care. I have two tanks that don't require a heater. I just got a 10 gallon that i am SO excited to set up! Decorating is my absolute favorite thing! SOOOO heres the question: Do I need a heater for a 10 gal tank? I know i need a filter, but i'm not sure about the heater. If yes, about how much do they cost, and what temp should i keep them at?

Thinking about dividing the tank for two new bettas, but can't decide yet.
Tank you!
fisherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

A heater is really a must for ANY tank to regulate temp and to keep fish from going into shock (especially for bettas)

You will need a 50 watt heater... price can vary from heater to heater and its quality

Heaters are about $20 and up for a 10 gallon heater
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #3 
DragonFish

I'm curious as to why your other tanks do not require heaters, yet your worried about this 10 gallon possibly needing one...?
The only reason you wouldn't need a heater is you live in a warm area where the temperature stays a consistent 78-81 degrees F year round(or at least in your house in whatever room you keep your bettas in)

Otherwise, a heater is needed in order to keep the tank at the proper temperature(78-81 degrees F)and to keep that temperature stable.

A heater for a 10 will probably run about $20-$30, depending on the brand/prices in your area. Hunt around online too, you may be able to find a good deal somewhere.

Congrats on the new 10 gallon, and I'm sure your bettas will be very happy with the extra space if you decide to split it for them (:
Oh! And heres a helpful little bit of info on cycling for your 10
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, please, feel free to ask. (:
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #4 
fisherish

my other two are one gallons... i read that it was risky to have a heater for a one gallon. They do have LED lights on top that are always on, and the water temp stays consistent according to the outside-of-the tank thermometer, around 78-80 degrees, so i wasn't too concerned about them..maybe i'm wrong?

Thanks for your advice about the 10 gal. heater!
fisherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #5 
Micho

You'll just have to buy a really weak heater, around 5 watts or so if you want to heat your 1 gallon tanks.

Also thermometer outside the tank aren't always accurate, it's preferable to buy the submersible thermometers that way you can have an accurate reading of the water's actual temperature.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #6 
DragonFish

+1 to what Micho said.
And you are welcome (:

Also, best not to keep those lights on all the time....most, if not all fish, if I'm not mistaken, need some sort of day/night schedule(I know for a fact bettas do)so they can sleep.
Actually, Bettas don't even really need lights unless there is no light(sunlight or otherwise)in the room they are kept in...they naturally come from a dark, densely planted environment; tank lights are mainly for us so we can see them. xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #7 
ecforgie

Betta Fish in my Dorm

Hi guys, I'm new to this whole forum/thread thing so I apologize if I do anything wrong. (this is my first post) I'm a full-time college student, and I bought a blue male betta one week ago at a local PetSmart. I do realize that pet store fish are usually not the best bet, but I am a HUGE animal person and am missing my pets back home, as well as having limited funds. ANYWAYS, this is my first time owning a fish. I bought a 1 gallon plastic bowl as well as some red marbles and an orange plastic plant. I also purchased water conditioner and betta pellets. The people at the store were not very helpful, they didn't give me any tips on care whatsoever. So far though he does seem happy... there was a bubble nest on the surface before I cleaned it today, and from the research I've done that means he is happy and healthy. I named him Alec after a friend of mine... he has a cute personality, I have his bowl on my desk where I can turn the lamp on during the day, and he will follow me when I'm moving around the desk; as I'm sitting here typing this, he is watching me and will follow my finger around if I move it around the side of the bowl. (yes, I know how sad it is that I am so easily amused)

So, my question is, should I be doing anything else to make Alec happy and comfortable? I haven't ever actually seen him eating his food, but he doesn't seem to be underweight and again, seeing the bubbles makes me think he's healthy. I have read about putting salt in his bowl or feeding him live worms, but I can't find anything that says what kind of salt/worms to buy and where I can get them when I don't have access to fancy pet supplies.

Thank you so much for any advice yall can give me!

God Bless
ecforgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #8 
harrypotter

I have such rotten luck with heaters. The first 2 I bought from Wal-Mart didn't work and the new one I bought was $35 and doesn't make the temp any warmer than 74 F -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecforgie View Post
I have read about putting salt in his bowl or feeding him live worms, but I can't find anything that says what kind of salt/worms to buy and where I can get them when I don't have access to fancy pet supplies.
Congrats on your new fish! He seems relatively happy from the sounds of it! I know a lot of people don't think 1 gallon is big enough, but with water changes you can make it a comfortable home for him. I would personally not recommend putting aquarium salt in his water unless he is sick. Long term salt treatments are known to be damaging.

Last edited by harrypotter; 08-27-2011 at 05:40 PM.
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #9 
fishcurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecforgie View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to this whole forum/thread thing so I apologize if I do anything wrong. (this is my first post) I'm a full-time college student, and I bought a blue male betta one week ago at a local PetSmart. I do realize that pet store fish are usually not the best bet, but I am a HUGE animal person and am missing my pets back home, as well as having limited funds. ANYWAYS, this is my first time owning a fish. I bought a 1 gallon plastic bowl as well as some red marbles and an orange plastic plant. I also purchased water conditioner and betta pellets. The people at the store were not very helpful, they didn't give me any tips on care whatsoever. So far though he does seem happy... there was a bubble nest on the surface before I cleaned it today, and from the research I've done that means he is happy and healthy. I named him Alec after a friend of mine... he has a cute personality, I have his bowl on my desk where I can turn the lamp on during the day, and he will follow me when I'm moving around the desk; as I'm sitting here typing this, he is watching me and will follow my finger around if I move it around the side of the bowl. (yes, I know how sad it is that I am so easily amused)

So, my question is, should I be doing anything else to make Alec happy and comfortable? I haven't ever actually seen him eating his food, but he doesn't seem to be underweight and again, seeing the bubbles makes me think he's healthy. I have read about putting salt in his bowl or feeding him live worms, but I can't find anything that says what kind of salt/worms to buy and where I can get them when I don't have access to fancy pet supplies.

Thank you so much for any advice yall can give me!

God Bless
Hi ecforgie and welcome to the forum :)

You will get more replies/advice if you start your own thread. This is so it doesn't get lost in someone else's thread. Just click the "New topic" button at the top or bottom of this forum's main page.

Alec sounds like a lovely fish, you should post pictures of him when you can - we love pictures!

A few notes:

- If you can afford it, a larger tank with a filter and a heater is recommended. Larger tank means more swimming room, hiding spots, and reduced maintenance. Everyone has their own opinions on minimum tank size. Personally, I wouldn't go for anything less than 2.5 gallons but that's just me :>

- Regardless, attention to water quality is THE most important thing to remember. In a 1 gallon unfiltered tank it is recommended that you do 100% water changes every day or 50% one day, 100% next. Bigger tanks mean less water changes. For example, Oldfishlady (patron saint of betta fish on this forum) says that a 1.5 to 3 gallon filtered tank should have 50% water changes twice a week.

- A heater is also extremely important - even more so than a filter. Bettas are tropical fish and require a water temperature of 76 to 83 degrees. Depending on where you live, this may not be an issue (i.e., you live some place where it is that temperature year round).

- Invest in a in-tank thermometer - the floaty ones or the ones with the suction cup so that you can monitor the temperature. The ones that stick to the outside of the tank are inaccurate/hard to read.

- Betta's do not require much to eat - their stomach is roughly the size of their eyeball. Depending on the individual betta fish, they should be fed 4 to 5 pellets a day, spread out. In place of the pellet feedings, frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms can be offered. These can be found at fish/pet stores, local or big chain ones like Petsmart. It is recommended that bettas have a varied diet of small quality meals throughout the day or as best you can according to your schedule. Live food is tasty to them, but it's not a requirement unless you're wanting to breed them. Also beware of freeze-dried food (not the same as frozen!) - it should only be offered occasionally (once a week) and in small amounts.

- Salt is not to be added to the tank unless you are treating them for a condition (see the Betta Diseases forum for more information). However, it is a good idea to have Aquarium Salt and Epsom Salt on hand in case you ever do need to treat Alec for something.

- For more information on setting up the tank and other Betta tips/info, read this excellent how-to article on your new betta.

- Good luck, and again, welcome! :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote