Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 
BettaRepublic

Temporary Filter: need help!

So Iīm in Mexico right now, and I bought A
Leeīs Aquaruim Fishbowl Filter powered by air pump (that I have @ home) I was wondering if it would work for my Bettaīs .75g temporary tank. When I move he gets a 10g on January 30 something to celebrate a year of Peter da Fishey! So back to the topic: is this filter good:

Yep! That above is what I bought.
And itīs a temporary filter for his temporary tank.
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #2 
lordadamar

Dont see why not, is filter foot print same as the tank?
lordadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #3 
BettaRepublic

well, if that mean that it covers the whole tank bottom, then no, but it brobably does cover the .36 gal bowl, but my dad is taking care of my fish in the US so...
Old 08-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

Its a UGF under gravel filter... it will work ok in a fishbowl with just one Betta in it.

UGF are a little tricky, for one that size you're going to want rocks in the 4 to 5mm range, about the size of BBs. You need at least three layers of rock over top of the plastic grid OR you can cover the plastic grid with a thin sheet of fine sponge then put a layer of gravel over it.

This filter uses a post-pipe carbon and floss head, which isn't actually necessary, you can replace that head with small cubes of sponge with a hole through them so the bubbles pop out the top and the water flows out the sides.

You're going to need an adjustment valve and a T connector to slow the bubbles to about one per half second at most, really fast bubbles create a back-pressure in that system.

Since its an under-gravel system you'll have to be careful not to disturb the rocks on it much or you'll rub the bacteria off. You can use small rocks just large enough that they don't fall through the grill if you like. Remember minimum of 3 layers of rock or quarter inch of sponge with rock layer on top, no more than five layers (sponge and 2 layers) or the flow will channel and make it ineffective.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #5 
BettaRepublic

A bit confusing.... where can i get the sponge? (probably @ petco?) And why can't I use the carbon floss thing...
And im not sure if this filter is compatible with what ur talking about
(T connector & adjustment valve) and its powered by an AIR PUMP so do those things go on the pump of what?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #6 
BettaRepublic

And my tank is a Petco .75g pet keeper:
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #7 
BettaRepublic

helooo! assistance!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #8 
jman828

Should be fine, just try it. And follow what Thunderloon said :). Good luck!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

I was under the impression that undergravel filters are not very effective. That is, you will still have to do frequent water changes, and if the tank is too large you will probably need a backup filter.Though Thunderloon has given you good advice if you decide you want to go this route.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

UGF require nearly daily maintenance and aren't something you can assemble and forget.

I always advise people with established UGF to leave them in even if they're set on replacing it with a canister or power filter. The UGF still serve the purpose of keeping the bottom gravel free and clear dead spots till you take them out and they continue to work as a filter while a replacement filter is installed.

<rant>I used them for a year and they're just a mind-numbing pain and a fine grit of unconsumable material builds up underneath them. I think if they only left a two millimeter gap they'd be invincible for set-up and simplicity but everybody seems to think they need a half inch... </rant> but they do work and fit almost any size tank AND since betta don't share territory - they're just damned near close to perfect.

This is a case of "since you have it, use it". Set up with rocks over it and beside it, put it in one end and keep doing 50% water changes every day. Stir the rocks that aren't on the filter grid with a stick before the water changes.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote