Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Betta Male Died :(

Hey guys , I had 2 betta fish in a small 1 gal tank, i moved them (male+female) into a 10gal tank with a divider, and over night the male died, and the female is just fine. I just bought another female and removed the divider , i also bought a couple other tankmates for my 2 betta. I put a heater to keep the tank around 80degrees F . Any tips as to the care of my new tank ? I'm still puzzled as to why the male died over night and the female is flourishing and just doing ten times better than before. If someone could tell me what happened I'd love that. Any and all tips are welcome
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #2 
kumi

Hi. The male probably died from something that started before the move to the 10g. Plus, even a good move can cause stress.

Tell us more about your tank. Is it filtered? What tank mates did you get?

I'm sorry about the loss of the guy, but happy that the female is doing well.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

Okay well I went and got 3 more betta females since the minimum for them to exist peacefully is 4. So Now I have Bubbles - original female white with purple/blue fins , Squirt - Dark blue female, Scarlet - red female, and Flora - white and blue striped female. Their tank mates are so far 1 Bristlenose Plecko, and two tiger barbs . they seem to all be getting along fine after i introduced them. I bought some freeze dried bloodworms and they love them. So far the fish are good in the group setting. I have a pictures attached if you can see my setup its very vibrant with lots of fake plants and two shipwrecks with hiding spots .
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #4 
kumi

Somebody else is going to need to step in, but I think that's too many fish for a 10g. The female bettas will be fine, but the other fish might be too much. I just checked, and one source online says that a bristlenose pleco should be in a minimum of a 20g tank. Also, the barbs can be a bit aggressive. There is another subforum here on betta compatibility with other fish. You might ask there about these tank mates. Unfortunately, you cannot always trust the advice you are given in pet stores--or anywhere else, for that matter!

Kumi
Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #5 
Anitax3x

hmm it might not be the right sucker fish, bc the thing said they're good for 10 gallons, im getting the names offline im not entirely sure its the right one it may be another type, it said 10 gal was good for them at the store . so thats odd. i forgot the names i just looked up a picture ant they look similar. So far the fish are doing well together so we will see. If they die in the next 2 weeks i get a replacement fish. but thanks :) ill take a look
Old 08-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #6 
DragonFish

o.o Okay...I had a whole thing typed up for ya....looks like I'll have to change it now. :/ Oh boy...

Alright, first off, remove ALL your females ASAP and put them back in their cups until you decide exactly what you want to do; you are not prepared or experienced enough to start a Sorority. While its true SOMETIMES females can be kept in groups in a well planted 10+ gallon with lots of hiding places, this should only be attempted by a more experienced and well prepared keeper, because even in the perfect conditions its risky and doesn't always work out.
You have a couple of options now:
-Keep 2-3 females and keep them in the 10 gallon divided, each in their own little section.
-Keep one female and return the rest and have a little community with a single female and a coupe other peaceful fish.

Take back the BN and the Barbs regardless. Both species will outgrow a 10 gallon rather quickly, and Barbs are not only schooling fish(need groups of 5 or more)but they are far too aggressive to be kept with bettas.

While it may look like everyone is doing okay now, things can change in the drop of a hat. Literally. And I can promise that you will have problems, likely in the near future, resulting in sickness(since you are quite over-stocked...not to mention adding that many fish at once will cause such a bad ammonia spike that I wouldn't be surprised if it wiped out your whole tank in a few days)and likely more death, which I'm sure you don't want.

So....you are going to have to take back quite a few fish. Hopefully the store will give you some credit, which you can use to buy a few other necessities for your new tank.

And now that we have the most pressing issues out of the way.....time to focus on the wonderful topic of the Nitrogen Cycle.
I'm not the best at describing the entire process(at least through text) but this explains the it all fairly well, in my opinion: http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

I'll see if I can dig up a little more on a fish-in cycle for you, unless you'd rather do some more research on your own.
ALSO, somethings you'll want to go pick up(if you don't already have them):
-A liquid water testing kit(the strips aren't accurate, stay away from them), API brand is the most popular one I see and it works quite well. This is essential to have, not just for the cycling process, but for in the future. You think something might be off/a fish acting funny? You've got your kit right there to test and eliminate the possibility of water quality issue. You'll also need it in order to test during your cycle so you know when to make water changes.
-A Gravel siphon. Though you don't want to disturb your gravel until your cycle is completed and stable.....this is a very useful tool for water changes, both during and especially after your cycle. It'll make water changes go much quicker and easier.

Lets see....thats all I can think of for now. I wish you the best of luck with your new bettas and, as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask me or anyone on the forum. We're always ready to help :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #7 
Anitax3x

okay now im scared, why do they say it is best to keep the betta females in groups of 4 or more then? I don't understand that. I'm returning the barbs and sucker fish right now. I actually do get a refund for them and can replace them with other fish. This is frustrating because I'm getting information from 03949240 different places and it all contradicts itself.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #8 
Micho

If you're getting information from the employees in your pet store, though it may be good hearted, sometimes they are misinformed.

I rather trust the people on these forums.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
okay now im scared, why do they say it is best to keep the betta females in groups of 4 or more then? I don't understand that. I'm returning the barbs and sucker fish right now. I actually do get a refund for them and can replace them with other fish. This is frustrating because I'm getting information from 03949240 different places and it all contradicts itself.
Truly, when in doubt with fish, the most conservative approach is usually the smartest one to take. As you are successful in easier circumstances, you can try harder ones. The advice you just got is excellent and when I said that the four female bettas would be OK, I only meant in terms of stocking. I personally would not be brave enough to try a group of females together. I'm happy you are taking the others back.

Kumi
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

my females arent chasing each other, they're pretty mellow. they have plenty of places to hide and I see no signs of trouble or aggression. It took a while getting the other fish out but so far I'm just gonna get my money back and maybe buy some more hiding places for them. ill keep you all posted. I see no issues with the females they just kind of swim around and avoid each other . they seem pretty chill other than the fact i stressed them out chasing the barbs -____- but they seem really good together. thank you all so much for saving me from disaster!