Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #11 
DragonFish

Do not be fooled by their calmness. They could be fine for days or weeks or even months; but things eventually will go south if you don't separate your females, return some of them, and return your other fish as soon as possible. It is inevitable that you will have fighting and likely death on your hands in the future; you are not properly prepared or experienced enough to handle a betta sorority.
And like I said, on top of the fact that those barbs are aggressive and should be kept in groups....they and your Pleco will outgrow that 10 gallon quickly. You are also already quite over-stocked, plus adding that many fish at one time will cause quite an ammonia spike, which is harmful and deadly to your fish.
Please take another careful look at my other post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
okay now im scared, why do they say it is best to keep the betta females in groups of 4 or more then? I don't understand that. I'm returning the barbs and sucker fish right now. I actually do get a refund for them and can replace them with other fish. This is frustrating because I'm getting information from 03949240 different places and it all contradicts itself.
It is best to keep betta females in groups rather then just 2 or 3, as there is more risk of them going at and killing one another in smaller groups(larger groups=spread out aggression). This is called a Betta Sorority.
However, putting females together, even in a properly-sized group, is always risky; all it takes is one or two really aggressive females or one that just decides she doesn't like the others for some reason one day and BAM, you have total chaos.
That is why Sororitys should only be attempted by more experienced keepers who have done a lot of prier research and are prepared to separate everyone if things don't work out....for even in perfect conditions, it still doesn't always work.

This was why I suggested you separate everyone ASAP. They may be doing okay now, but I would hate to see a post of yours in the near future about how all of a sudden your girls are fighting and things are going nuts in your tank. :/ That would be horrible for you, and all of us here who love bettas so dearly.

Like Micho said, It is always best to take the information a petstore employee gives you with a grain of salt. ALWAYS do your own research. This forum is a great place to do just that; there is a countless number of experienced fish and betta keepers here to give you accurate advice from years of experience and knowledge.
But Google can also be a wonderful tool; you just have to work a little more and read a lot to get a better idea of what is accurate ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #12 
Anitax3x

i see no flaring or chasing each other , the femalse have pretty much settled in with each other, my original female (bubbles) is used to other fish and she isnt flaring her gills or anything and the other three seem to be just as docile they take to hiding in the plants and shipwrecks. im returning the other tankmates and i'm gonna use it as store credit until i see how these 4 make out the next week. then ill see if i can add lil neons or antyhing to the tank. can someone give me a list of tankmates that they know mostly from experience are best. I don't want any snails simply to avoid 209480348209 baby snails popping up in my tank its just a hassle I am NOT in the mood to deal with lol. The females are swimming around with each other just fine, I honestly see no confrentations at all. mostly they investigate each other and then just swim off. I'm getting some more hiding spots to place in the tank any other suggestions? this is SO helpful thank you guys!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

ok , i have backup tanks incase things go south for the females and divider. what is your advice on keeping these 4 together ? more hiding spots? more plants?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #14 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Do not be fooled by their calmness. They could be fine for days or weeks or even months; but things eventually will go south if you don't separate your females, return some of them, and return your other fish as soon as possible. It is inevitable that you will have fighting and likely death on your hands in the future; you are not properly prepared or experienced enough to handle a betta sorority.
^ Again.

I really don't think you are prepared or experienced enough to keep all these girls together successfully. I know that may sound rude, and I apologize greatly for that, but I'm not sure how else to get reality across to you. :/ I highly suggest you separate everyone before problems arise and do one of the two things I suggested in my very first post.
-Keep 2-3 in the dived 10.
-Keep just one with other peaceful community fish.

Please do not think about adding any other fish at all until you decide what to do with your girls and get your tank and its cycle straightened out. That should be your main priority rather then thinking of other tank mates.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #15 
bettaloverforever16

Exactly what DragonFish said, do NOT be fooled by the calmness. Things are going to go south, because the tank isn't cycled, and diesese will probaubly break out. Or they'll end up killing eachother. DO NOT get ANY other fish to go in there, that'll only make things wore No Neon Tetras either. Keep 2-3 in a devided tank and return the the others. I would rather trust the users on this website, than the pet store people. They're info is wrong, they might mean well, but it is wrong.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #16 
Anitax3x

Okay so I've gone through other forums, researched, and I returned the barbs along with the platico. Honestly, I did what the others told me and so far so good. No one has given me any tips as to how to actually have a sorority and just rammed me saying I'm too inexperienced. My girls initially chased each other, a bit of nipping but a pecking order of the 4 has been established, I've added another huge place to hide and two thicker taller plants along with a floating structure to hide in. the tank was already set up before i put the first two fish in and the male unfortunately died, I've had him for a few months and the girl was just fine over night. My tank is heated and filtered and has plenty of spots to hide and rich colors for them. I feel as if no one even tried to give any help. The bottom line is, they're $2 fish and if they kill each other I GET DIFFERENT FISH (non betta). None of you except for kumi gave me any helpful advice. And I did listen about the barbs and sucker fish. However the more I research the more I feel like you guys scolded me, But I appreciate the concern for my girls. I know that I have to keep them under close observation but I have plenty of containers with dividers if I see any signs of serious aggression. I'm going to leave them in for a few weeks before adding anymore tank mates for them. I'm keeping them in my new setup and they are all eating well and seem to be swimming with each other and relaxing , aside from me stressing them out by adding more plants and hiding places. I really would like some more info as I don't enjoy reading other forums for information when I just joined this one for that purpose. Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #17 
Anitax3x

pleco ******************************** iphone lol
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #18 
Pataflafla

There's a search option on here for you to use. If you're unwilling to use that, then maybe you should post a question in the Compatibility section. Your attitude about the bettas on here may not get you much help since most everyone here is an avid fan of them, just as an fyi.

Take pictures of your new setup and let others know if you have a filter, a heater, your water change schedule, and foods that you have to feed them. This will help others determine if the tank is suitable for your bettas as well as if they're getting the right nutrition for the lifestyle they may be living.

I do have to agree that it was a bad decision to suddenly start a sorority if you just set up the tank and had your male die from unknown causes.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #19 
Anitax3x

I apologize for my attitude, Thanks for actually helping, I will post new pictures of the new setup as I changed it then added my other females in gradually. The male was looking a bit sick before the move, so I feel the added stress sent him over the edge.I'm feeding them flakes as well as freeze dried bloodworms. I did my research and rearranged the tank everything before adding them in together. I agree that the pleco and the barbs were a bad idea but I corrected that issue. I have my 10 gal richly planted ( two really tall plants that reach the surface, and are thick along with a few medium and small plants all are fake) with 4 big hiding spots ( one so that each female has a good place to hide ) made of a bunch of little shipwrecks etc I bought. I made sure to get females not similar in color and similar in size, my original female Bubbles seems to be the alpha in the group. The girls seem to be happy , she used to jump her divider and get near the male i had a lot so she's not aggressive towards tank mates. I know it was a rushed decision however I made sure to put adequate plants and hiding places. They are under close observation, and I can and will separate them if I have a problem. I will post more pictures tomorrow of my tank and the females. I have the tank at 79 degrees F and a lid as Ive had my one female jump. Is there anything else I should add? maybe a background on the back of the tank? floating plants?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #20 
Pataflafla

Ideally there should be lots of plants for all levels of the tank. Lots of ground cover (can be caves and small plants), lots of medium cover, and lots of top cover. As for food, switch them off the flakes to pellets with a high protein content and only feed the freeze dried blood worms as a once a week or so treat. They shouldn't be a main diet since they cause a lot of constipation issues and are somewhat like the junk food item. Krill is another good choice for a weekly treat, just feed sparingly since it also causes a bit of constipation but it healthy food.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote