Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #21 
DragonFish

I am sorry you feel attacked and 'rammed'; that was not at all my intention. I'm naturally a rather blunt person. I tell it how it is, but my intention was not at all to attack or 'ram' you....only to tell you the truth.
The reality of the matter is: You're not experienced enough to handle a Sorority and you will very likely have trouble in the future because you jumped into this so suddenly without doing any research(again, just because they are calm now means nothing....all it takes is the blink of an eye and you have a huge problem on your hands). I have offered quite a bit of helpful advice and information that would help to eliminate any problems you may have until you do have the experience and knowledge to do a Sorority successfully.....you just don't like those options and are, therefore, choosing not to listen.

I am being so blunt and giving you the advice I'm giving you because I care about the well-being of your fish in the long-term; we here on the forum view are fish as cherished companions rather then just $2 fish to be replaced. All we, and I, want is to help others understand the truth hidden behind all the myths of Betta-keeping and ensure long, quality, healthy lives for as many bettas as possible.

But if you are really dead set on not listening to my advice about the girls(thank you for getting rid of the barbs and the pleco, you are on the right track there), then the only advice I can give you is to watch your cycle, keep adding plants and hiding spots(you can NEVER had too many in a Sorority), do a ton of research, and be prepared with properly-sized separate tanks for each girl in case they get too aggressive/injuries occur and one or more need to be QTed and treated.

I would also nix on the Freeze-dried BTW; they're not really very nutritious and tend to be more risky then they're worth with all the possible bloat issues IMO. Frozen is much better, and there are lots of different frozen options(to feed as treats once or twice a week, like Pata said)for a nice little variety.

I apologize for sounding rude once more; as I stated previously, I am blunt, I tell it how it is, and I am only looking out for the fish; I don't mean to harm your feelings or 'attack' you....and while I stand firmly by my previous advice, I understand that you are going to do what you want to do and I do wish you the best of luck possible.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #22 
Anitax3x

I originally tried pellets and they wouldn't eat them so which brand do you suggest? my problem is they would eat them and keep spitting them out. So the flakes they started eating. Should I do live plants or continue using my fake plants, I have them all over the tank covering most of it with little areas to hide in aside from the caves found in the lil shipwrecks and logs and such. Any other suggestions ?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

If you don't want to return your females, you can keep them in a sorority as long as you set it up correctly, and are willing to properly house your females separately if it doesn't work out.

If your females are young, it will be easier to establish a pecking order. Younger females tend not to be as aggressive or territorial as mature females that have been kept predominately alone.

You will need lots of plants at all levels of the tank, though more so at the top, as this is where the dominant female(s) will harass and attack your more submissive ones. You really need to break up the line of sight from front to back and side to side. This helps prevent fighting as it can stress your females out if they are in constant sight of each other. It also impedes chasing as it becomes more work for the antagonist than if it was a clear way through.

Having an uncycled tank isn't going to wipe out your sorority, but it will be a little more work. What you need is a liquid test kit for at least ammonia and nitrite (nitrate isn't as important). Test rigorously, and anytime you get a reading for either of these that is above 0, do a minimum of a 50% water change.

Don't worry about killing bacteria off with large water changes etc. Even if your test kit reads 0, there is still enough trace ammonia present to establish your biological filter. Your girls' health is much more important, and both ammonia and nitrite can cause long-term problems.

Keeping everyone on a good, high-quality diet (New Life Spectrum is the best brand IMO) and ensuring excellent water quality, will go a long way towards prevent disease.

Finally, if any one female is getting singled out by the others, or if one females is constantly the aggressor, you may need to pull them either temporarily or permanently out. When females chase each other, it is not 'playing'. It is a display of dominance. Some females will never be comfortable in a sorority, and I feel a lot of sororities end in disaster because people don't understand the subtleties in their bettas' behaviour.

A successful sorority is one where as soon as any sign of submission is given, the dominant female or aggressor backs off. Any female that continually attacks another even when it has submitted, may need to be pulled out, as the behaviour is more likely to escalate until it results in severe injury or even death.

Hope that helps some. Sororities are hard work, but if you are observant, they aren't that difficult to manage.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #24 
Anitax3x

Dragonfish- thanks, I'm sorry, I realize I can potentially have a huge problem, I do care for the fish, its just as you are blunt I am very spiteful. I apologize. If I have serious problems I'll separate them and send them to my other tanks and make sure they have places to live if things go south. I realize they can turn at the drop of a hat and I was trying to say that all of the problems aside if I could get some help as to what to do being that its my first time having betta sorority. Ive been reading up on them and I had planned on getting a big tank with more fish. I just figured asking from others who have had them would help. I felt like I can't become more experienced if no one will help me get there :-/
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #25 
Anitax3x

littlebettafish - wow that helped ALOT. I have a few high reaching plants and even a floating log. They at first chased each other etc but as I saw they are kind of just exploring the tank and one i believe has claimed one of the shipwrecks, they tend to hide in different spots, when i added a few more plants they investigated them and went back to their own business. Again I realize that I have to see how they do over time, and I'm prepared to separate them. I'm going to add my leftover plants in and keep checking up on them to see how they are.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #26 
Anitax3x

they are also young betta females . I forgot to mention.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #27 
Anitax3x

Also I have a kit to test the water :) and am monitoring it closely
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #28 
bettaloverforever16

Glad to hear it's working out (:

Do you have a few extras tanks, incase one needs to be taken out?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #29 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
Dragonfish- thanks, I'm sorry, I realize I can potentially have a huge problem, I do care for the fish, its just as you are blunt I am very spiteful. I apologize. If I have serious problems I'll separate them and send them to my other tanks and make sure they have places to live if things go south. I realize they can turn at the drop of a hat and I was trying to say that all of the problems aside if I could get some help as to what to do being that its my first time having betta sorority. Ive been reading up on them and I had planned on getting a big tank with more fish. I just figured asking from others who have had them would help. I felt like I can't become more experienced if no one will help me get there :-/
I completely understand, no harm done what so ever; my soul intention was to help offer you advice to completely prevent any of these problems....after all, I, and I'm sure no one else here, would like you to have a bad first experience with bettas and Sororities because you jumped into it so quickly and weren't properly prepared.
You could still have separated them and asked questions and learned and prepared tried again later ;)

But, if you are really set on trying this, LittleBettaFish just outlined all the necessary information.

Oh! Might I just add though that when I did mention having a new tank would wipe out your fish....I meant adding so many fish at once to a brand new tank(all the girls, the barbs, and the pleco)would cause a large ammonia spike and, without proper monitoring and maintenance, could likely end up killing most, if not all of your fish.
I just realized I hadn't clarified that properly o.o My apologies.

Anyway! I agree completely, 100% with what LittleBettaFish said. I wish you the very best of luck with your sorority....and while I still stand by my previous advice, if you are determined to make it work, I hope that everything works out well for you and your girls. (:
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #30 
Anitax3x

When I added them I placed the girls ( still in their lil tanks ) to float in the water. My tank is filtered and ran well with the one female and the male. He was really lethargic before the switch and it just got worse :/ I was sad bc he was a beautiful blue color but at that point there wasnt much I could do as he wasnt eating anymore and just would sit at the bottom and fall over, basically waiting to die. But all fish go to heaven . Anyways I'll post pictures of my tank, and the setup

bettaloverforever16- I do have another tank with a divider as well as a divider for my 10 g tank if I need to indefinitely separate my females :)

All in all they seem to be so far so good, I think they were mostly stressed out by the barb , they would dart around and act crazy stressing out my girls way too much. The pleco was ok however I didnt want to overcrowd the tank. Once this setup is stable I'll look to add more tank mates if I can fit, I was thinking cory cats or something along those lines. When I added my other females to where the original (bubbles) was , I rearranged the setting and added more places to hide, so she wasnt really aggressive or pushy with the other females.
I'll buy the pellets tomorrow , I just have to ask how do I get them to eat the pellets ? They tend to simply spit them back out as opposed to the flakes which they just devour immediately. Is there anything I should put into the tank water other than the conditioner I used originally? my filter is pretty strong and water clear. If i had any obscurity it was bc I used my iphone and it tends to take great pictures one minute and the next shot comes out blurry -_____- so I apologize.