Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #41 
Pataflafla

I'd skip the pea treatment and premix 1 tsp/gal epsom salt and use that for you water changes. It works the same for them as it does for us and I've never heard of anything horrible happening with it's use. The pea treatment has a lot of negative reviews which I support mainly because why put something else in if nothing is coming out already.

the epsom salt will help them out tremendously if they're constipated and is safe to use long term if really needed.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #42 
Anitax3x

okay I did that I got the epsom salt and mixed it with my gal of pre treated water ( I always keep one sitting at room temp and did a 100% water change. They seem to be doing better swimming around deeper in the hospital tank. Thanks for your help
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #43 
Anitax3x

Im going to let them fast for a day or two still , just in case.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #44 
BETTACRADLE

I'm still puzzled as to why the male died over night ,

When u got the male, is he healthy?, if he is, how is hes stomach look like, Is he full, too full or slim? when u got him from the pet store? , if he's overfed and full and u move them (male) into a 10gal tank is not advisable when he had a full stomach, coz this will made him stressed out, this can also cause him to have stomach problems,

I have some experience with my bettas , that when they full and u moved or changed water for them they get sick,

Lol juz an idea, but truth, the male betta might died of other causes also like , what medical treatment u use on the new aquarium water? , because medications on the water can stress the fish bad when he's too full. But if hes not full , juz think back , is he healthy when u got him from store, even if u no see any disease on the fish , It might having some small parasite or other unnoticeable disease. And when there's a change of water , change of environment, the diseases symptom on the fish got flared up and triggered an immune response on the fish . When the fish cannot stand the new water , which if u also apply medications , I guess it will go to heaven lol.

I have seen some betta's of mine who's having some mild bacteria infections and cannot stand the change of water , well it died of apparent unexplained reason lol . Maybe the stress of changing water and the new medications for the water, coupled with the mild infection hes having , triggered an reaction to hes condition thus made him succumb

Anyway I am sorry for ur new friend there,
BETTACRADLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #45 
Anitax3x

Can I leave the girls in the epsom salt mixture for over a day? would that hurt them?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #46 
Anitax3x

betta cradle - I tried understanding you but it was really hard to read that lol .
Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #47 
Anitax3x

well i mixed the gal with the epsom salt, put them in the bath and now have them waiting to return to their hospital tank which is just pretreated water no epsom salt. If they don't poop by tomorrow night, then I'll do another bath, I think They've had enough for now.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #48 
Pataflafla

You can keep them in it as long as need be. Epsom salt won't cause any problems with them if used correctly, which you are doing. Just make sure you do your original water change plan for those girls and keep redosing with the epsom salt until their problem is gone. fasting is a good idea. don't feed them until they show signs of poop or are less swollen.

Aquarium salt is the one you have to be a little more careful with. It has the same dosage as epsom salt and same water change schedule, but it isn't good to keep in the tank regularly and a treatment dose shouldn't be used for more than 10 days. It will also harm any live plants so be sure you don't have any in with the bettas being treated with it if you ever run into that problem.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #49 
Anitax3x

I am fasting my bettas for the next 2-3 days , and if I see no feces at the bottom they will be getting a pea. I did the bath and They no longer float like they used to, they're actually sleeping well. Im glad to see them breathing steadily and resting. I'm going to let them rest for tomorrow and I'll do another water change monday morning before I go to volunteer. They all seem to be doing well. I'm Excited to see my girls swimming down deeper and are able to stay there without vigorous effort like before. they're in my bathroom which stays pretty warm even at night. Also I gave them warmer water to start with. If all else fails I will give them another epsom salt bath.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #50 
Anitax3x

Huge improvements in my girls :) epsom salt baths = success :)))))))))