Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #1 
maeve100

Ammo Chips

Hi there,

I have a betta in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a filter and heater, but he is slowly showing signs of ammonia poisoning. I change 1/2 the water twice a week, and do a full change every month. The ammonia levels sore really high in this tank - its not able to generate a bacteria cycle to take care of the levels.

So my question is, since its such a small tank and hasn't been able to establish a cycle after 3 months, would it be such a bad thing to regularly use ammo chips to control the ammonia?

Thank you!
Liz
maeve100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #2 
dragonflie

Do you have a test kit? I'm curious how the ammonia could rise that fast, even in a 2.5g tank. Is there any dead or decaying plant matter? Are you over feeding perhaps? What kind of foods are you feeding? I realize that 2.5's are harder to in which to get a stable cycle; but if you are feeding reasonably light, and don't have anything decaying (such as the plant matter or leftover food) I wouldn't expect to be seeing signs of ammonia poisoning that quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible, just improbable that there isn't something else going on too. :)

In the meantime I'd start doing daily changes, but if you can get your hands on a test kit so you can see where your ammonia and nitrites are really at.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 
maeve100

When I go to pick up some ammo chips today I will get a test kit so I can get fresh numbers for you. I borrowed someones last time, and the number for the ammonia was between the 1 and 2 ppm colors.

How often should I be feeding? There are no live plants in the tank, and I cleaned out the tank last week so there really shouldn't be any debris.

He has tail rot before, so I know what that looks like, and its not the same. His fins are tearing apart, and his skin is developing red spots, and his left gill is reddish looking now. Its been going on for a few weeks now, I was just hoping it was a color change. But once his fins started to go I knew it was something else.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #4 
maeve100

Well, there is that theory shot to dust. The tank is going to be cleaned tonight and his ammonia levels are at 0.5 ppm. I will have to post to the deceases board about this :-/.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

please link to that thread here.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #6 
TonyK

You might not be changing the water enough. I was under the imprssion with any tank under 5 gallons water should be changed 2x week 1-50% and 1-100%. I'm sure someone will verify that.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote