Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Male & Female in Divided Tank?

I made a divider for my new 10 gal today and I was wondering if I could put both Shasta and Demi in it.

The divider is double-sheet and well enforced. I also have a "fern fence" on Shasta's side. So is it okay to put both of these cuties in the same tank?

I don't want any accidental babies..
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #2 
audjree

it should be okay as long as neither of them can get to each other. i'm no expert on divided tanks, but i think it should be fine.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #3 
flowerslegacy

Hi hmckin20, I'll give you my experience since I just attempted this myself. My male was crazy, crazy spaz man being next to the female. She just teased him. They sat at the divider all day and chased each other around. You won't have any worries in regards to babies, because the male has to have access to the female (and the eggs) to produce fry. I'm sure she'll produce eggs though, so her body will either absorb them or she'll lay them and eat them. However, I've heard that females can become "egg bound", which can be deadly, but I am the wrong person to answer any of those questions. So for me, I moved my boys together and my girls together and now there is 10gal divided happiness. But all bettas are different so the personalities may not work. You just have to keep an eye on the two you put together. Personally, the egging issue scared me with the female, aside from the spazzy stress my male was experiencing. But I'm sure there are more experienced folks to answer your question. My response is just my personal experience.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #4 
audjree

i've heard it's less stressful to house a male and female together, than a two males, but i've heard from others here that house two males with no problem, so yes it does depend on the personality of your male and female.

like flowerslegacy said, just keep an eye on them, but there really shouldn't be any babies popping up. (:

Last edited by audjree; 08-19-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #5 
hmckin20

okay, awesome, thanks guys :)

so far they aren't really able to see each other... so they haven't wagged any fins yet. i was just hoping that there wasn't some kind of super fish sense that made fishies aware of the opposite gender in the same body of water xD i think i'll watch em for a bit and if they don't work out i'll separate em tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #6 
audjree

no problem. (:
i wonder if fish do have that super sense? :o ahahah

but, that's good. i hope they work out. (:
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #7 
flowerslegacy

I could totally be wrong, but I've read that the hormones, theramones, etc. are actually released into the water. I believe I read that on our sister site, tropicalfishkeeping when I was researching a water chemistry issue. But don't quote me. Woah . . . I could be wrong. I'm a long way from breeding. But I'm going to start googling because I'm curious now. Probably worth some research and hopefully a breeder will chime in.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #8 
hmckin20

well demi got some vertical stripes but i still don't think they can see each other.
she's been eggy for a wile.. i kept her beside two of my other boys before i knew females made eggs when they're around males. fff, i hope there isn't a super sense of hormone kind of thing going down.. i'd really appreciate some help from a breeder!

haha right now demi's poking around one of her new plants and shasta's flaring at his reflection.

she does have some vertical stripes.. though i hope that's just cause of happiness or something.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #9 
hmckin20

fooey.. i think they saw each other. shasta got all haughty and puffed up like WHO IS DAT ON MY TURF well i turned the lights out on them. maybe that will help for now..
Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #10 
flowerslegacy

You can always pm a couple of breeders?? I believe 1fish2fish is a breeder and I know that chard56 breeds and sells on aquabid. Keep us posted!