Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #1 
kumi

If your power goes out!

Hi, guys. I live in coastal CT--neither the worst nor the best place to be for hurricane Irene. I know some members are having to evacuate! I don't have time at the moment to see if this is posted somewhere else, but I wanted to warn about one potential problem. If your power goes out, the bacteria in your filter will start dying. I believe OFL said that you start having a major die off after about six hours. When they die, they produce a lot of ammonia. So, it you just turn your filter back on without rinsing it out well, you will be flooding your tank with ammonia!!! Not good! Some of my filters do a good job of self priming so I will be sure to unplug them in case of a power outage--don't want them to restart on their own!

Another precaution that I am going to take is that I won't feed the fish Saturday night--hurricane is supposed to land here during the night. If the power does go out, I will not feed them, or only feed them a little so that their tanks will stay cleaner. If anybody has any suggestions about feeding, I would appreciate it. If I had thought about it early, I should have probably fattened them up some as soon as there was any threat of Irene hitting here!

I'm also going to fill all of my "fish only" buckets with water for water changes. Somebody told me to be prepared to not have water available for a week just in case.

At least we don't have to worry much about the temperature at this time of year! The potential temperature fluctuations are not going to be great for the fish, but it's not nearly as bad as it would be in the winter.

(I know, I know, those of you who live where this sort of thing happens all of the time are probably laughing at us, but remember, we aren't used to it!!)

Good luck everybody!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #2 
Grlacey

I live in south Florida and this is a fantastic post for you to make. Preparation is key. Wishing you the best of luck with water, power, gas and fishies!
Grlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #3 
Laki

Wow, wishing anyone with pets (aquatic or not) the best during hurricane season!!

Great idea on setting water for them. I don't like the idea of buying jugs of water which may potentially be contaminiated by the plastics chems during transportation!! O.o
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote