Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #1 
Laki

heaters :)

So in my quest to become a better betta mom I've been browsing the PetSmart site (that's where I'll buy my supplies).. What do you think of this heater?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...55060#prodTab1

Keeping in mind Lakitu is currently in a 1 gallon with aeration tube. Can this heater be placed under gravel?? Or should I just get one that attaches to the side of the tank?? Also, IF I were to upgrade his tank to 2.5-5 gallon would I need a stronger heater??

What wattage would you reccommend for a 1-5 gallon tank??

Thanks for your help in advance!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #2 
lordadamar

Seems alright

Only thing I see is its actually kinda bulky for such a small tank with limited space...

I was trying to think of where I saw something similar and I found it...

http://www.petsolutions.com/storefro...iumHeater.html
lordadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

This is the only heater I have! petco has some just like it for $10. I have 4 of these heaters, the size you posted keeps my 5 gallon nice and toasty and The bigger one at petco that is oval is working great in my 10 gallon. I really recommend it, although mine are not the zoomed brand. Im sure it would work the same. For the price I couldnt be happier

It also can be put under the gravel. If you were to upgrade this heater would work good

Last edited by MaggieLynn; 08-26-2011 at 04:01 PM.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #4 
kumi

No!! Don't do it!!

Sorry, I am alarmed at the price as well as the product. The problem with those heaters is that they are going to raise the temperature the same amount whether they are in a room that is 68 degrees or 75 degrees. For that price, you can get something like the hagen mini elite which is adjustable. They are available at amazon and many other places, including www.kensfish.com. Kens--and probably amazon--also has the large size krater keepers which are 3 gallons if you want to upgrade to something larger.

There are also many other heaters which people can recommend, that's just the one that I use and have been happy with.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 
kumi

OK, sorry! Some other people were posting at the same time I was. I would still go with a temperature based/adjustable one as it gives you more flexibility. The one advantage of the type you are looking at is that they can be less expensive, but that one isn't!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #6 
MaggieLynn

zoomed is alil more but I have had no issues with my little heater like that. this is the third heater I bought, the other two I had first bought never worked properly and one was adjustable. I personally have not had an issue with these heaters or similar ones.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #7 
Laki

Thanks for the replies!! I prefer to shop at my LPS rather than online so I'll cruise them when I get out there. I don't even remember seeing the circle Zoo Med one when I was at PetSmart last.. PetSmart is next to Pets Unlimited. Tropical and Marine Pets and WalMart so I'll check all 4.
I want to upgrade to a critter Keeper but the associated costs of that, heater, filter, thermometer might overwhelm me all at once. I have to prioritize atm. I'm getting a heater first. When my loan comes through I'll make a better trip.
I just got a text from my sister who told me Trop/Marine Pets has all kinds of fancy bettas!! :D Now I need to up the ante!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

You definitely want a controllable heater. Betta Splendiferous likes 78 to 81 degrees F and that takes adjustability.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #9 
Laki

Well.. I gues I'll have room to try out some. I've been picking up extra hours before school starts in Sept so I'll be able to pick one out for Laki and then another for a new guest :)
Old 08-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

In my small tanks (1gal-5gal) I use the tetra brand pre-set (78F) type heaters and depending on the room temp they keep the tanks 74ish-82ish range, however, on my larger tanks (10gal-75gal) that I use the adjustable heaters in...water temp will vary with them as well- based on room temp by 5 degrees more or less....

In my experience, I have found that regardless of the heater being pre-set or adjustable that the water temp can vary based on room temp by 5-10 degrees-more or less.......with both-submersible and the hang on type heater use....also, I have found that water temp can vary in the tank itself in different areas/levels in both my filtered and unfiltered tanks...especially under plants.....

I have found that with my Bettas they tolerate a wide range of temp and generally as long as water temp isn't kept in the extreme temp range long term (high or low) a healthy Betta can tolerate short term temp ranges....

It is better to try and keep the temp somewhat stable in the 76-80F area-I have found that healthy Bettas of any age can tolerate the slow/gradual water temp changes that you can normally see with day and night by 5 -10 degrees or so....

On one of my tanks-3gal Eclipse and one of the few tanks that I use a hood and filter that is built in...will maintain a water temp in the 80-83F range without the use of a heater...I suspect that between the light and the heat from the filter motor is what keeps the water temp that warm and it is by a west window that doesn't get any sun that houses a single Betta, several RCS and snails-heavy planted with dirt substrate...this is with temp being monitored with both the stick on type thermometer and hand held digital thermometer....go figure.....lol......

You may or may not need a heater, however, its always a good idea to have one on hand....

But you do need a thermometer to monitor the water temp...two types of thermometers are best IMO...one that stays on/with the tank and a second type independent that can be used to double check the tank and to use for the replacement water for water changes to avoid sudden extreme temp changes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote