Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #11 
Cookie Lee Lady
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orange, CA
Thank you so much for the advice!! I have been doing 100% water changes on both tanks everyday, and my fish are so happy!! It seems like their tail fins have 'opened up' into these graceful fans waving behind their bodies. They look so much healthier than when I got them (I don't think my stepdaughter was neglecting them, I just think she didn't know best how to take care of them, she definitely didn't visit this website...lol). Anyhow, I now have them on pellets, along with frozen bloodworms as a treat every couple of days and they seem to be thriving. Thanks again for all the wonderful and appreciated advice!
Cookie Lee Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #12 
BettaGirl290
Member
 
BettaGirl290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Snohomish and Shorline Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
I recommend a Kritter Keeper! I have a 2 gallon one that I use for my tank and doing water changes is a breeze, it takes me probably 15 minutes now to do it. The thing that takes the longest is catching my betta!
lol i love critter keepers for my bettas :D so efficient!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #13 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
KKs are a great, inexpensive way to keep bettas.

Personally I'm happier with the glass tanks as they don't hold the bad bacteria in the scratches as easily, but with the 100% water changes, it should be just fine. Scratches can hold good bacteria too. ;)

Welcome on your new additions to the family, and I hope they live long, happy lives!
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #14 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
i agree with KKs but not so much with my parents. they say it looks so cheap to keep them in plastic containers rather than tanks. i dont have issues with KKs personally. id only buy KKs if i was in the states, quebec charges 25% more for similar sizes. id be lucky to find a medium KK here for $18 VS $15 petsmart.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #15 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Personally, I prefer KKs as far as smaller tanks(ones I can't/would rather not bother cycling) mainly because of how much easier it is to preform water changes; I'm a rather small/light individual and I have trouble hauling around a glass 2.5 gallon full of water/decor I've tried it, gave that tank away to a friend as a gift.

The full lid they come with I also find quite convenient; I just have my dad cut a notch out for the heater cord and I'm good to go!

I kinda like the way they look too, and the fact that they're sturdy and I don't have to worry about cracking them like my glass tanks...and the scratches don't really bother me(I can't really see most of them when the tank is full anyway).

So if you want something sturdy, cheap, easy, and don't mind a couple scuffs and scratches...KKs are most definitely the way to go xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #16 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Personally, I prefer KKs as far as smaller tanks(ones I can't/would rather not bother cycling) mainly because of how much easier it is to preform water changes; I'm a rather small/light individual and I have trouble hauling around a glass 2.5 gallon full of water/decor I've tried it, gave that tank away to a friend as a gift.

The full lid they come with I also find quite convenient; I just have my dad cut a notch out for the heater cord and I'm good to go!

I kinda like the way they look too, and the fact that they're sturdy and I don't have to worry about cracking them like my glass tanks...and the scratches don't really bother me(I can't really see most of them when the tank is full anyway).

So if you want something sturdy, cheap, easy, and don't mind a couple scuffs and scratches...KKs are most definitely the way to go xD
As far as sturdiness goes, I find that KKs crack very easily. >> Mostly around the corners. Maybe it's just the ones I had, like they were made in a bad batch or something. Just have to be careful how you carry it... of course, the smaller the plastic tank, the less likely it'll break.

With my glass 2.5, I just syphon out most of the water, take out the decorations and put them in a bucket, and then cart it around to wherever I need it to. I've never had a glass tank crack, especially while carrying it... except one, but it was sort of dropped down the stairs. X__x Completely empty tank, thank goodnes. But still. All that glass... D:

By the way, that's just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm completely against KKs... I love them. I still use a few, too. Eli's in one right now until I fix up his old tank again (or another already-cycled tank becomes available), and a bunch of baby guppies are being raised in another. I've got two larger ones for QT... they're still great tanks.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #17 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
As far as sturdiness goes, I find that KKs crack very easily. >> Mostly around the corners. Maybe it's just the ones I had, like they were made in a bad batch or something. Just have to be careful how you carry it... of course, the smaller the plastic tank, the less likely it'll break.

With my glass 2.5, I just syphon out most of the water, take out the decorations and put them in a bucket, and then cart it around to wherever I need it to. I've never had a glass tank crack, especially while carrying it... except one, but it was sort of dropped down the stairs. X__x Completely empty tank, thank goodnes. But still. All that glass... D:

By the way, that's just my opinion. I'm not saying I'm completely against KKs... I love them. I still use a few, too. Eli's in one right now until I fix up his old tank again (or another already-cycled tank becomes available), and a bunch of baby guppies are being raised in another. I've got two larger ones for QT... they're still great tanks.
o: Really? I've bumped and dropped and moved my KKs all over the place and I've never once had a problem with anything but a few scratches. Maybe I'm just lucky...? xD
I also have this one acrylic tank that I've had for at least four years; its seen three moves, several bettas, and countless water changes...its nice and scratched in a couple of places, but my lord has that thing held up O_o Its currently the home of my newest boy on my desk.

Eh...I still had issues with my 2.5, even when I did start using the siphon with it(it was the only way I could do it without totally waring myself out xD). I was so afraid of dropping it when I was rinsing it, or that the rocks would move around too much and crack it...
I'm also very small though; it was a little too much for my non-existent muscles xD I like the lighter KKs.

I agree; thats just my opinion/experience too. o: Glass tanks look great, and I love my 5+ gallon glass tanks(because I don't have to move them to do a water change xD...though when moving from house to house I still worry Dx), but I like the way KKs look too, and the lightness and convenience of them. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #18 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
o: Really? I've bumped and dropped and moved my KKs all over the place and I've never once had a problem with anything but a few scratches. Maybe I'm just lucky...? xD
I also have this one acrylic tank that I've had for at least four years; its seen three moves, several bettas, and countless water changes...its nice and scratched in a couple of places, but my lord has that thing held up O_o Its currently the home of my newest boy on my desk.

Eh...I still had issues with my 2.5, even when I did start using the siphon with it(it was the only way I could do it without totally waring myself out xD). I was so afraid of dropping it when I was rinsing it, or that the rocks would move around too much and crack it...
I'm also very small though; it was a little too much for my non-existent muscles xD I like the lighter KKs.

I agree; thats just my opinion/experience too. o: Glass tanks look great, and I love my 5+ gallon glass tanks(because I don't have to move them to do a water change xD...though when moving from house to house I still worry Dx), but I like the way KKs look too, and the lightness and convenience of them. :)
lol, Well, a lot of people on this site seem to like KKs. It's probably just me and bad luck with those things. xD'
It depends on how big the rocks are... mostly I worried that the gravel I had would fall out of the tank and get in the sink and asdf I don't want to take apart the sink to get the rocks. X_x

I'm rather a small person too... 5'2" and barely any musles on my arms... though I admit I am getting some more and more because I'm training myself before I get in the military. >>

... And you just made me think of how difficult it will be moving my 10g and two awkwardly-shaped 5g when I have a place for them wherever I get stationed. |D I might probably have to try my luck with KKs for a while before I get those back up and running again. xD'
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #19 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
I like the petco pet keepers. I think its the same as the KK, just made for petco. Much easier to clean then hauling around an uncycled glass 10 gallon with gravel to the sink once a week >.<
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #20 
Cookie Lee Lady
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orange, CA
The aquarium I have now is an Aqueon. Has anybody ever had one of these? I am looking into KKs though, as I am hearing so many great things about them.
Cookie Lee Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW BETTAS! Aubin and Skyden! NEW WHITE MALE BETTAS :) Jrf456 Betta Pictures 8 07-10-2011 12:17 AM
are bettas picky eaters? is it the brand or just bettas in general? lunawatsername Betta Chat 7 04-24-2011 10:05 PM
can i put bettas with bettas and have them breed without any dead fish Guppie luver Betta Fish Care 13 02-15-2011 07:38 AM
New to Bettas - What fish mingle best with Bettas? Dannyboy Betta Fish Compatibility 14 05-25-2010 03:08 AM
'crowntail' bettas v. 'regular' bettas ErinBBC Betta Fish Care 3 04-28-2008 07:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.