Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #1 
dantetheripper

Ghost Shrimp

I bought 5 ghost shrimp the other day and put them into my 10gal tank with my betta, Tokyo. I watched with bated breath to see if Tokyo would attack the transparent shrimp but he just looked at them and then swam away. Problem is now Tokyo would hang out at the upper right corner of my tank, facing away from the shrimp and he won't swim anywhere else. He would occasionally swim around the shrimp but he spends most of his time in the corner. Can anyone tell me why? Is it the shrimp?
dantetheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #2 
SVC

I'm no expert, but could he be sulking? From my experience in my short time owing a betta, they definitely have feisty little personalities and I wouldn't be surprised if he's just mad at having to share his space. Either that, or he might be intimidated. I know bettas are supposed to be aggressive but my neon tetras had put my guy in his place because they would always bite his tail and he would jump away and cower. lol You know, the whole stregth in numbers thing. There are 5 shrimps and one Tokyo so he's smart to the possibility of them ganging up on him.

Hopefully after a few days, they will get used to being around each other and no one will hurt the other.
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

Sounds like hes sulking, lol, just keep an eye on him and be prepared to remove him or the shrimp if he gets a bit to jealous (or just let the shrimp be snacks :/ )
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #4 
Foxell

Be careful! When I first got 3 ghost shrimp one of my boys ate the smallest one D: I was careful to make sure to get bigger ones after that. It seems though, that I have a very jealous ghost shrimp, and he kills any other one that I put in the tanks...so now I have just one ghost shrimp that gets along with everyone just fine.

Just watch him and make sure he doesn't try and eat them, he could end up choking D:
Foxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Haha sounds like he is having a "silent tantrum"... unhappy he has to share space. My Admiral was like that for a week and a half after getting him... He's in the baby fish tank (fry tank for mollies) but now he is coming around and much better now :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote