Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #1 
adamxaotmic

My "new" $5 tank stand

As stated in another thread, I'm a stay at home dad that's trying to move my 3 new Bettas into their new 10gal divided home. Since I don't have a lot of money, everything has to be on the cheap. BUT.. I will not compromise the safety of my Bettas to save a few bucks.

I have a 10gal aquarium but no where to put it. I live in an apartment so space isn't something I have a lot of. I was looking at tank stands but I can't afford the $30+ on a black tank stand. (Must be black to match the living room decor.)

So I thought of building one. Materials would cost almost as much to buy as would the tank stand. So.. I remembered I had an inn table thinger from Ikea that I bought for $5. I cut it in half. Drilled new holes for the legs on the new back of the top. And pretty much screwed the other half to the bottom for support. So the legs wouldn't slide outwards.

I had my little sister stand on it to make sure it was good to go. She weighs about 130lb so I figure it's good enough for my 10gal.

Let me know what you guys think.

adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

I think that'll work out perfectly. I've got my 10 gallon on my dresser, a hospital tank on my computer desk, and a 1.5 gal on my nightstand. As long as it's stable it gets the job done.

It looks very nice. I would honestly think that you bought an aquarium stand if I hadn't read your post.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #3 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
*snip*
It looks very nice. I would honestly think that you bought an aquarium stand if I hadn't read your post.
Thank you. =D And it's the prefect height for my 2yr old to get a good view of the Bettas.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #4 
Micho

Looks great! I'm so jealous. Wouldn't have even noticed that it wasn't bought from a store if you didn't tell us.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #5 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamxaotmic View Post

I had my little sister stand on it to make sure it was good to go. She weighs about 130lb so I figure it's good enough for my 10gal.

This is GOLD! gosh people are coming out with some good lines this is like the 5th coughing fit/asthma attack ive had this week from laughing too hard with a cold
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #6 
adamxaotmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
This is GOLD! gosh people are coming out with some good lines this is like the 5th coughing fit/asthma attack ive had this week from laughing too hard with a cold
lol Thanks. I would have stood on it.. But I'm not going to be using a 29gal tank. =D

I worked really hard on this. It took me a grueling 20mins to make it.
Also thinking about enclosing the bottom (for support) and adding a door to the front.

Thanks for all the compliments.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
hahahaha. That part made me laugh too.

It looks really nice though! Way better than the stand I came up with!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #8 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamxaotmic View Post
lol Thanks. I would have stood on it.. But I'm not going to be using a 29gal tank. =D

I worked really hard on this. It took me a grueling 20mins to make it.
Also thinking about enclosing the bottom (for support) and adding a door to the front.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Yeh that would be great we did it to my tank stand:
*Bf welded the stand together painted it and put the wood on it all him self *
its out of MDF wood and painted so that any water wont wreck the wood as MDF absorbs and swells, also around the sides and back its sealed along the top to prevent water getting inside the stand as thats where all my power cords and ehiem canister filter are housed.

**EXCUSE THE MESS**

Name:  IMG_4880.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  8baystand.jpg
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  8baystandin.jpg
Size:  63.1 KB
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #9 
Abby

Busted Simba our cat watching the boys and BF also made the grey stand, it usually holds a 5 gal perfect. but theres no tank on it atm
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #10 
Princess Penny

That looks great! Where did you find an Ikea stand for $5?? Looks a hundred times nicer than the $20 stand I just bought off someone on craigslist for my TV ;D
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote