Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #1 
aurasoulful

Filter issue

Hi everybody. I have a ten gallon tank with one beta. The filter is an Aqueon quiet flow 10. I baffled this filter with a small piece of sponge over the outflow. I then used the water bottle cut-out I learned to do here, over the outflow. But I believe the current is still too strong for my beta. Is there anything I can do to improve the filter or do I have to get another type? Thanks for your suggestions <3
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #2 
kumi

I don't know that particular filter, but I have been successful at slowing the outflow of a filter by stuffing the box with an extra aquarium sponge!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 
flowerslegacy

Hi aurasoulful - Welcome to the forum. You have the exact filter and tank set up as I do, and I just posted the same type of question just a few days ago. I just rectified the situation and my baffle is working great. Here's what I did: I bought a bag of poly fill. Specifically it's labeled "filter pad" and made by Marineland. It's just the filter material, in a sheet about the size of a pillowcase. Anyway, I cut a small, thin piece about 2" long and I put it in the intake tube. This will help keep the suction down and protect your betta from possibly getting stuck to the tube, or having their delicate fins ripped by the suction. It also slows the filter flow down slightly. Secondly, I cut another strip. This one is the width of the outflow and approx. 8" long. I bent it in half and put it up inside the outflow. Then I used a big rubberband to hold it in place. This will keep it from ever popping out (because it will if you don't have it banded it place). Then, make sure your water level allows the baffle to hang at least 1" into the tank water. Voila! Perfect baffle. I have live plants right underneathe it and they don't move at all. Also, I have a double-tail with a long tail and he can't handle any current. My filter was way too strong and nothing was working. (NOTE: Be careful not to stuff too much poly fill into the intake tube. If there's too much, then it restricts the flow of the filter too much and the outflow will be a dribble.) Once you put it all together, plug it in and see how it works. You'll still have an outflow, but the combo of the poly fills, along with the water submersion, will call create a perfect baffle. If your filter starts making a grishly sound, it's because of the intake tube. You'll just need to re-adjust the poly fill.
Attached Images

flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

Oh wow, I can't wait to give this a try! Thanks Flowerslegacy :D I think this will really help. Thanks for your reply and the photos <3
Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #5 
flowerslegacy

Your welcome :) I asked about sponges on the other thread but I haven't received any responses yet. I'm still curious about the right kind of sponge for our specific set up. Our filters are pretty strong and I haven't found an aquarium sponge that slows down that flow. You can see the plants below the baffle and they don't move one bit. When I was doing a water change, I turned it on when the water level was about 2" from the bottom of the baffle. There was a nice little flow so I know the filter is doing it's job with circulation. But when the baffle goes under the water, it's just perfect.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #6 
aurasoulful

Awesome, I just ordered filter pad on amazon just now XD What kind of plants you got in there? My tank is bare.. I only have a wilting anacharis, and two marimos.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #7 
flowerslegacy

I want a marimo!! :) I have wisteria, water sprite, anubias and brazilian pennywort. They're all easy to care for and they can handle my water parameters (my pH is 8.0). I just have regular gravel and I use Seachems Flourish once a week for fertilizer. Oh, and I don't have carbon in my filter so it doesn't rob the plants of nutrients. The only plant that is a little difficult is the wisteria because it requires a ton of light. It's dieing in one of my tanks but my other tank is taking it great - because it gets a lot of natural light. My bettas love, love, LOVE the plants. I highly reccomend them!! You can pop over to tropicalfishkeeping.com and check out their Aquarium Plant section. You can find just the right plants for your water parameters and what set ups are best for you. Have you named your Marimo?? We have specific threads on marimo's and all their various names :) I have yet to go find one but I'd like a few nano's.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #8 
aurasoulful

Sounds like a lovely planted tank <3 I haven't named my marimos yet. Get a big one, and the nano! Momma with baby XD I might just name the smaller one Tweedle-Dee and the big one Tweedle-Dum.... (Top of head) I heard about not having carbon in planted tanks.. I just cut out the carbon from the filter insert.. That could be why my anacharis is starting to look brown...? I'm using API Leaf Zone as fertilizer. Might not be good enough. I know the lighting isn't so great. i've got a glass canopy on the way and a florescent lamp to use until I get a light bar for the hood. This hobby is expensive :(
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #9 
flowerslegacy

The carbon will surely create issues. However, plants don't do well with a lot of current at the water surface. I'll guess and try to remember what I read: Disturbing the water surface creates oxygen, which the plants don't need. Also, the disturbance releases the c02 from the water which the plants need to survive. Yikes, don't quote me. Pop over to tropicalfishkeeping and you can read it there. They also reccomend Seachem's Flourish based on all the minerals it contains. You can also read specifically about anacharis over there too. All the guidelines, parameters, fertilizer, lighting, etc. It's awesome. I know, this hobby is soooo expensive but so worth it :) My husband calls me a fish nerd - I wear the title proudly! :)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #10 
aurasoulful

Fish nerds are the best nerds. I've been around aquariums all my life and can't imagine not having one (two) :) Thanks for all of your help, I'm going to check that website out :D