Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #11 
Laki

I'm with you, I'd like to teach in other parts of the world too :) Winter here.. Well. It depends. Usually it can start mild and end fierce, or the other way around. This year we had a late start to the snow (sometime in January) but it lasted until late May-June. Icky old snow. The problem isn't cold, wet, snow and slush but the wind. The winds are so bad, even my bf from Nova Scotia (just an hour and half plane ride away) finds it hard. Winds knock the sense out of you. They can reach over 75-100 km/hour on a bad day. Nothing serious. :P LOL

I'd like to visit some parts of USA. Nothing stupid like Hollywood or Las Vegas, like so many people, but Maine or DC.. Seems less known. Some of my profs at school come from Texas and they're the sweetest people. 2 of them are Folklore profs and are SUCH sweethearts!! Still talks to me even though I'm practically done with my folklore degree :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #12 
laughing

I'm from Georgia (in the U.S.) and I will tell you Atlanta is one of the most interesting places.. They have one of the best aquariums, amazing food (there's a restaurant in a tower that slowly rotates while you eat looking over the city!), the Coca-Cola factory, etc.

Then you go down south a bit to where the most heart warming people ever live (where I grew up). You have the Chattahoochie River, Macintosh Park (where we'd camp out and ride horses all day with stew in the dutch oven), small towns with homestyle cookin! (there's this pizza place with awesome pizza and trivia nights), and so much more..

I really think Hollywood is such a bad representation.. California itself is like the exemption to the rest of the U.S! I love CA, but it isn't what the rest of the U.S. is like at all.. If someone wanted to visit to learn more about the US and what our 'culture' is, I wouldn't recommend CA unless it was more Northern such as wine country.

D.C. is nice but very busy! I personally enjoy their Metro system. You can go to most surrounding states in such little time and there's amazing culture there. I was probably dead from walking the strip so much. ;P

I currently live in Arizona. We have the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, lava beds, crazy malls (one is 3 stories tall with surrounding stores and restaurants), awesome museums, etc. Honestly if you wanted a "chill out" vacation, AZ is great for that. You just need to know someone to tell you of all the little spots! Like there's this amazing breakfast place that is sooo tiny but they make ALL their food homemade and have every single breakfast item you could imagine!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #13 
Silverfang

Newfoundland isn't cold, but it does get hit with snow. And Slush. And Ice. Oh, and about the wind, she kinda understated it. There's a section of highway that gets shut down frequently, transport trucks get blown over. Then there is the joke of the Newfoundland speedbump, aka the moose. Bad joke, they cause alot of accidents.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #14 
Laki

Wow, thanks! Arizona seems warm.. Warm= large spiders.. o.o But I could see going there for the kind of vacation you described. I like homestlye cooking <3

HAHa Silverfang!! You're so right. Except I didn't know about the trucks! O.o I live so downtown you couldn't get closer to the water. (signal hill) and I don't drive. The moose are a serious problem, however. Yes. BUT they apparantly taste so good they make people from all over the world come here and taste them wild. In NL style, theyre done up as burgers and steaks. Im a vegetarian so I'll never know but. . .
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #15 
laughing

Whoa o_0

So it's not cold, just harsh conditions? Wear lots of protective gear! That's so terrible about the trucks...

We don't have too much of a spider problem but uh... scorpions are.... heh heh... (Well we have spiders too...)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Newfoundland sounds like a very interesting place to visit.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #17 
Silverfang

Lots of fish, mostly the edible kinds. And that section of the highway is out near Port Aux Basques, it's called wreckhouse.

As for the moose, a family friend is a truck driver, he ran into a moose,he was fine, but his truck had serious damage. $30,000 I think.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #18 
newfiedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Newfoundland is gorgeous. It's a homogenous island on the East coast of Canada, unique in nearly everything; accent, culture, food, ways of life (traditional fisherman are still about).. Um, home to the most Easterly point in North America (Cape Spear). 2 home breeds of dog (Newfoundland dog and Labrador Retreiver). Point at which Sir Marconi received the first ever trans-Atlantic wireless message (Signal Hill). One of the most decorated yet tragic losses in World War One was at Beaumont Hamel (Battle of the Somme) in which about 85% of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment went down, among others. They were decorated for their bravery and now have their own Memorial site in both France and here.
Newfoundland is also one of the four corners of the world (Brimstone Head on Fogo Island). :)
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #19 
newfiedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingPrincess View Post
I stumbled across some gorgeous pure white half moon bettas today,but had to pass them up because I don't have another tank set up yet.
Even though I know the fish is already bought, I just have to ask...WHERE!!!!!!!?????? Which store????

And welcome to the forum, Lisa!!! :D
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #20 
Silverfang

Andrea has some white dragon half moon females, I'm getting at least two!