Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Talking When you buy a betta....

What do you look for in a betta? most people go for the colors.

Personally I like to go for ones that are more active and even flare I got two new ones today!!! Both in quarentine, but both active and eating on the first day

My previously bought one, Admiral has finally become more active after a week or so of having him. When I got him I noticed his back was a bit misshapen so they gave me him for 3$ - he is not very brightly colored, and does not have the full fins... And he does not come up to the glass to me just yet... and he is a bit of a push over (he is in the balloon molly fry tank )
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 
Laki

I've always looked for color when I was younger. Haven't had betta's for years though. When I convinced the old bf that we needed one, I let him pick it out (then I checked it for signs of illness, and activity). Matt picked the biggest betta the store had -_- (boys, eye roll) and he was from a fresh shipment, active, flaring. Had spunk since the day we got him.

Since I'm itching to get another, I'll look at the fancy ones. Checking colors and obviously health. I've only ever had VT, but color combo's on CT are appealing to me lately :D
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

That's true :D My friend got an albino cross and it is genetically blind >< All well. She loves him and cares for him :D

I always check for illnesses lol. Any fish I get... There was one I wanted before, but he was getting fin rot...poor thing was in with the rosy barbs :(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
Laki

I would want to save any fin rot fishies :< Just because I know they might not be sold. But I'm so new to bettas and this is my first ever case myself that I wouldn't know about it.. Maybe when I learn more!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #5 
LaLaLeyla

I try looking for healthy pretty ones. Owo
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 
Micho

I looked for an active and a pretty one too. Pretty much it, didn't want to bring home a sick one. >: He would've died on me real quick.

Last edited by Micho; 08-26-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #7 
DragonFish

I tend to go for whatever betta 'calls' to me....as silly as it sounds xD
I suppose I tend to lean more towards the unusual though; the more unique the betta the more interested I am in it....but still, it has to 'call' to me.
I do have a soft spot for Cellophanes however.....but I've always had a thing for white/albino-like animals(probably because it drives my mom nuts; the hates the red eyes), so thats probably why.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I look at colour first and foremost, and the betta's expression. A few of mine have ugly heads and dippy toplines, and it always annoys me.

I prefer whites and white/blue based marbles. Tail type isn't as important, but I will never own another crowntail, as two of mine died of some wasting disease, while the other passed from a tumor.

Surprisingly enough, most of my bettas are colours I don't really like. My mum likes blues with a red wash, so I always have to 'rescue' one of those to make her happy.

However, someday I would like to create a line of white/blue marble dragon veiltails.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #9 
Irishdancer

I don't really know, I just get emotionally attached to some fish over others. All three of the ones I've bought were fairly healthy, but last time I was at the pet store, there was one very sick boy that I would have bought if my Mom wasn't there to say no. He had two big bulges in his belly and was floating sideways, but I could tell he was a fighter because he was trying so hard to swim. Poor guy.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #10 
MaggieLynn

I go by tail type and color, also by size and if there is any tail biting or sbd or fin rot. I also look to see which are active. I also agree with what dragon fish said, about how they just call to you, on wednesday i saw a pretty marble hmpk that i feel in love with went today to get him and ended up with a halfmoon boy, he just called me its hard to explain. Ill spend a good 10-15 minutes looking at bettas even more if i have to. Although major has a small case of sbd which i knew before i bought him >.< oh well he is otherwise healthy besides that. my weakness is crown tails.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, buying, fish