Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #1 
adamsjes

Is this normal?

This is my first beta and I'm not sure if he is sick or if this is just his normal coloring. Help please!
Attached Images

adamsjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 
Laki

Looks fine to me.. VERY new to colors but he's perhaps a peach colored?? (*somebody correct me!!)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Could you fill out the sticky (Should be the third post down in the Diseases and Emergencies section). That'll help us find out if he's sick or if it's just his natural coloring.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 
adamsjes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Could you fill out the sticky (Should be the third post down in the Diseases and Emergencies section). That'll help us find out if he's sick or if it's just his natural coloring.

Housing

What size is your tank? He lives in a bowl

What temperature is your tank? Room temp about 75

Does your tank have a filter? No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Is your tank heated? No

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? No

How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, maybe more. My boyfriend likes to watch him eat.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 4 days

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A liquid that removes chlorine and such

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:

pH:

Hardness:

Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No

When did you start noticing the symptoms? When we were at the fish store

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No

Does your fish have any history of being ill? I'm not sure but he seems happy and active

How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him one week ago
adamsjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #5 
LaLaLeyla

Looks alot like my betta! :D
Seems like normal coloring to me.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

By bowl I'm going to guess it's 1 gallon. In that you'll need to up the water changes to probably around 100% every other day or 50% daily. If you could raise the temp just a few more degrees and keep it there that would be good for him.

You may be overfeeding depending on how much. If it's pellets I wouldn't go over 5 a day in that small of a bowl since he isn't using much energy swimming.

Ideally a 2.5 gallon or up tank that is between 78-80*F with plenty of plants and hiding places would be ideal. that way he's got plenty for space to swim and you don't have to change his water so often. He might get even prettier that way too. Bettas tend to change colors or get richer in color if they're in a good home with good nutrition and water quality.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 
Myates

It looks like normal coloring, to see him bloom it's actually best to do a 1 50% and a 1 100% water change per week, too many water changes in a 1gal will lead to not building up the right bacteria. Water can be too clean, as I was informed by others here. The cooler temp could also be keeping him paler, so maybe moving his bowl to a warmer spot in the home would be good.
It doesn't look like he has much in the way of deco, as Pata mentioned, hiding places and such is idea. Silk plants either larg leafy kind, or the long grassy type they like. As well as some place for them to hide in, a small cave would make him feel comfortable.
Feed 4-5 pellets a day, in small feedings (2 pellets in morning, 2 in evening, maybe 1 mid day - also with one day a week no food to fast/clear out his digestion). To make up for feeding him less, see if you can get some frozen blood worms or brine shrimp and such and rotate that in replace of his pellets every so often. More interesting to watch, plus a happier, healthier fish. :)
Good luck with everything, he is a handsome little guy and with the proper water changes and deco, you'll see him liven up in coloring and he'll want to show off. :)

Also, daily mirror play time may help him bring out his colors.. put a mirror next to his bowl for 3 mins or so once or twice a day to get him to exercise and rev his engine. Wouldn't put it there for longer then 5 since it can tire him out and over stress him.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote