Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #1 
coopar21

Questions :D

So I have been looking into getting a Betta fish.. I have wanted one for a while and am finally caving in. So I plan on getting a 2.5 gallon tank, is that big enough for the thing you guys call cycling? and also how does one only change a certain percent of the water? While I am at it, how often do you suggest I change its water.
coopar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I don't know if 2.5 is big enough for cycling, but it'll be good enough for a betta, so long as it isn't a king (They get really big and need more room because of that). Depending on if you have a filter for it, it's recommended at 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change per week.

As far as changing percentages, it's more of an eyeball thing in terms of how much water is in the tank. A 100%, if you're not going for cycling, is all of the water. If you're going for cycling, it's a great majority of the water with just enough to keep the substrate or gravel submersed.

An uncycled tank won't hurt your fish, but you'll have to keep up on the water changes and keep a close eye just in case there are spikes of harmful chemicals that are produced by him.

I believe there's a thread on here that clearly defines what a cycle is and how to achieve it in a tank. You can use the search option on here to find it.

Make sure you've got a heater for your betta too, but that should be a basic thing you've already found with research.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #3 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopar21 View Post
So I have been looking into getting a Betta fish.. I have wanted one for a while and am finally caving in. So I plan on getting a 2.5 gallon tank, is that big enough for the thing you guys call cycling? and also how does one only change a certain percent of the water? While I am at it, how often do you suggest I change its water.
Hi. I have 2.5g with live plants in them and that helps keep the water parameters stable. What Pataflafla said about a 2.5g being big enough for a betta is absolutely true. However, if you don't want to start with live plants, a 5 gallon will require less upkeep after the initial period. With a 5g you can only need one water change a week after it has cycled. With a 2.5g, you're much safer doing the two water changes. I will say that it is very quick to do a water change with a 2.5 gallon tank, however!

Have you read the sticky about cycling? Does it make sense to you?

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #4 
Micho

First off welcome to the forums. :>

2.5 gallons is big enough for a Betta, some people might argue that 5 gallon is the minimum but I have my Jake in a 2 gallon right now and he's doing fine. But the smaller the tank the more water changes you'll have to do. I suggest one 50% water and one 100% every week, or you could mix it up.

I believe cycling any tank that is under 5 gallons is pretty hard, I have asked before if I could cycle my 2 gallon tank.

While you're at it you should consider getting some other things for your Betta fish! A thermometer, a heater, filter (is optional, but if you choose not to have one, you'll have to change your water more often), water conditioner, a variety of food (flakes, pellets, frozen bloodworms, etc), a siphon/gravel vacuum (this is also optional, but it helps to clean the food/poo that sink to the bottom), also it's handy to keep some medication just incase of emergencies. Like AQ and ES (Aquarium salt & Epsom salt), and also Quarantine tanks (anything around 0.5 gallons ~ 1 gallon).
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #5 
fishcurl

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

It is my understanding that 2.5 gallon tanks can be cycled, but they are more susceptible to mini-cycles (where one of the parameters goes out of whack). That's not to say it can't be done, just that it may be more difficult to do so :)

Also, if you do want to cycle your tank, you will need to invest in a master test kit in order to monitor the parameters. API makes a good kit but it can be expensive depending on your budget.

Cycling isn't strictly necessary for a smaller tank. Regular attention to water quality is the most important as others have said. If you're just starting out and have limited funds, I'd say invest in the basics as Micho has said. The heater being the most important to your betta's health and well-being.

Good luck! And don't hesitate to ask questions here; there's lots of great people who give great advice :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #6 
flowerslegacy

Just like @fishcurl stated - you can try to cycle a 2.5 but they're very unstable. You'll experience mini-cycles (which means spikes in ammonia and nitrites) and in the long run it's more detrimental to your fish. Cycling anything under 3 gals is not advised. A 2.5 is a great size and I echo all the information that was stated above. Welcome to the world of the wonderful betta fish!!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #7 
coopar21

Thanks for all the responses, I of course plan on getting the heater and thermometer. (possibly a filter(most likely in fact )) I see that one 50% and one 100% a week is good water change wise. Is there any real benefit or con to having real plants vs fake ones.
coopar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

Live plants can help cut down on some of the waste your fish makes, believe. They add a little more oxygen to the water too, not that it maters too much to a betta. I think they cut down a lot on fin ripping since they're softer than plastic plants. They're not a must, but they're nice.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #9 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopar21 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, I of course plan on getting the heater and thermometer. (possibly a filter(most likely in fact )) I see that one 50% and one 100% a week is good water change wise. Is there any real benefit or con to having real plants vs fake ones.
Plants help reduce ammonia and other nasty stuff while in your tank. If you choose the route of fake plants be careful of anything that might tear your Bettas fins. Basic trick is to run nylon through the plant, if it snags or tears, it'll certainly snag and tear your Bettas fins. So buying silk plants is way better!

I have no good knowledge with real plants, so I'll direct you to the plant thread, or other members with more knowledge with plants can help you. <:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

Last edited by Micho; 08-27-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #10 
flowerslegacy

Live plants are awesome. I'm just sorry it took me so long to dive in and plant my tanks! My bettas LOVE them too. Highly reccomended!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote