Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Heating blankets?

So, now that summer is ending, my family has started to use the swamp cooler at night, which makes the house incredibly cold. I woke up yesterday to find Ratchet a little sluggish and his tank at 72. I put a little heater in with him (though it didn't do it's job unfortunately) and bundled up his tank in blankets.

I've got 3 unheated tanks in my room (a 1.5 gallon with Ratchet, 1 gallon with Starscream, and a .5 gallon qt for the new girls) and I know for sure that despite my bundling in warm blankets and sweaters that their temperature leaves something to be desired.

Then an idea hit me last night. I have an adjustable electric blanket that I use in the winter to keep nice and toasty. Why not use it on the smaller tanks to keep them warm at night? I know that I'll have to monitor the temperature very carefully while I test this out, but I really hope it works for keeping my boys and the new girls nice and cozy.

Are there any unforeseen problems that you guys can think of before I drape this blanket around my tanks tonight to test (I'll be up long enough to check regularly and then it will be colder in the house too)?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Hmmmm I've heard of people putting heating pads under their tanks as temporary heaters, so i don't see why a blanket wouldn't work. I guess just monitor it very closely for a day and see how it works out!!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 
Leeniex

I used a heating pad temporarily under my 2.5. Worked fine, and it shuts itself off after a certain amount of time. I think blankets do the same????
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Well, the blanket will stay on so long as I don't unplug or push the off button, but I can set it to low to see how it works out and find which setting will work best.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote