Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Ick questions!

So I woke up this morning, checked on my fish, and noticed that the ones in my community tank had ick. I took my Magico out, and put him in a 1 gallon hospital tank with API Super Ick Cure and some aquarium salt (also treating my main tank with the ick meds). My question is, how much of the packet should I put in the smaller tank? I'm scared of over dosing him and making him worse. It is heated, but not filtered, with no substrate. Also, his fins are a bit tattered. Should I use salt for them? If so, what would be a good dosage?
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #2 
Bloeduwedd

Housing
What size is your tank? Hospital 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not yet
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None ATM, normally 4 platies, 6 tetras, and a cory cat

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraMin flakes, frozen bloodworms, he refuses to eat pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? On the main tank, once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe plus, FloraPride
Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #3 
copperarabian

It's usually recommended to treat the whole tank, but if no other fish show any signs the hospital tank should work :D

You'll want to raise the temperature of the hospital tank to anywhere from 82-86 degrees, I think higher is better. Also add aquarium salt (Use the full dosage, but raise it slowly so you don't shock your fish) and do 100% daily water changes. Make sure to rinse out the hospital tank to get off any parasites who might still be on the bottom.

Do the treatment for at a least a week, even if the ick isn't visible anymore.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #4 
Sakura8

What I've been told to do is take something that holds 5 cups of dechlorinated water, mix the packet up, and use 1/2 cup of that medicated mixture per gallon. So for Magico in his 1 gallon QT, you'd pour 1/2 cup into the water. If you use a sealable jug, the medicine should stay good for a day or so and you can use it for the daily water changes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #5 
Bloeduwedd

Thanks :) I'm actually treating the entire tank, I just QTd Magico because I wanted to keep a close eye on him. Only one of my fish was showing Ick, while Magico had a spot or two Magico is now completely clear, and none of my other fish have gotten anything. Gonna keep Magico in QT for a while, he seems to like it (he made his first bubblenest since I got him today, and I squeed like a kid XD) and I don't want to take chances. I had another question though... I'm unemployed for another week, and money is very tight. I'm almost out of the API meds... would it cause a problem if I switched to a cheaper, liquid medicine for my main tank?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #6 
Sakura8

You could switch to aquarium salt and be fine as long as you don't have catfish or cory cats or live plants in there. You can get a 33oz box of aquarium salt at Petsmart for less than $5, I believe. The dosage for aquarium salt is 3 tsps per gallon for treating ich, with the heat turned up to 86 degrees if the fish in there can stand that much heat. Plus, it's always good to have aquarium salt on hand for fin rot and other emergencies. Otherwise, I see no reason why you can't switch to a different medication. Just be sure to make the switch gradually so the fish don't get shocked. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #7 
Bloeduwedd

I have both live plants and a cory cat, so it's a no go on the salt, I guess... though is there any reason why? I'm kinda new at this lol. Hence the questions. And I'll make sure to switch gradually. I gave my dad, who's more experienced than I at fish keeping, a ring and he said I could do water changes and re-use the old water as long as i ran it through a strainer like cheesecloth or a Tshirt first. Would that be okay to help conserve the meds?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Cory cats are really sensitive to salt and live plants melt, that's why you can't use aquarium salts in tanks that have those in them, unfortunately.

I really have no idea if your dad's suggestion would work or not but I guess it's worth a try. If you're not sure, then definitely switch to the liquid meds. Either way, I hope something works for you. If you do try the method your dad suggested, let me know how it worked out.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #9 
Bloeduwedd

Haha, thanks for the info on the salt. One of the people at my LPS suggested using it in my tank, even after I told her what fish I had in it. Then again, this same woman argued with me when i said bettas need at least a gallon tank with a heater (she said I was wrong, that they live in tiny puddles and didn't need any heat -.-). She also told me I would kill my betta if I just used aquarium salt and did 100% water changes in my hospital tank because I'd remove the bacteria it needs to live. I'm not taking any advice from her anymore lol. And I'll be doing another water change tomorrow, so I'll definitely let you know how his method works. I'm also going to transition to the liquid meds, just in case.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Ah, pet store people. *shakes head* One pet store employee argued the same thing with me and said she kept her betta in am unfiltered, unheated 2 gallon with danios, white cloud minnows, and African Dwarf Frogs. She was bragging that he lived for 5 yrs but I was just picturing how miserable the poor thing must have been for his whole life.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with your tank and getting rid of all the nasty ich bugs. Keep me posted.