Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Flaring tear fins?

One of my newer bettas, Flagg, has extremelly long fins, I was worried about him tailbiting and it was reccmended I constantly change his surroundings,which I have been doing, well, while doing an early water change (getting ready for the hurrican!)
I set his tank and him next to my females tank while I cleaned the area he normall stays
well, I just placed him back in his normal spot, and his fins are ripped!!!! :(

He had no rips before, now he has a bunch, he was flaring and wiggling crazy at Tihs.... because hes in a QT tank all he has in his tank is a coffee mug so it cant be anything in there...

could it be because he ripped his fin flaring?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #2 
Luimeril

flaring CAN rip fins. Cup used to do it all the time. x: just try to keep him calm and avoid making him flare too much. :d or, do as i did, and give up. xD i couldn't stop Cup from flaring, so i just kept an eye out on his fins and changed his water whenever i saw a new rip, no matter how soon after his regular water change it was.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

So its a common thing?
He ws fine when he flared at my male betta Finn, but when he flared at Tihs... it ripped.... I have him in AQ salt right now and his view is blocked form my other bettas
Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 
Silverfang

IS there just one rip? or are there many? He may have bitten his fins if he got over excited and then stressed. A picture would really help with that.
But clean water with AQ salt is the proper treatment for any sort of fin tears
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #5 
Luimeril

he may have been showing off too much. :d i wouldn't worry about it too much. do you have any Indian Almond Leaf, or other tannins?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

Hes a butterfly, the majority of his fins are clear and my only way to take a picture is with my cell... which barely even shows his fins, it happened in just a couple minutes, I have tannis, going to add that to his water now...

This is him... going to TRY to get a pictur of it but not likely, I know what finrot looks like and Im 100% it is not finrot (not black tps and it doesnt look ragged)

Old 08-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #7 
Luimeril

he probably ripped them showing off to the pretty lady. :d nothing to worry about! :3 just keep his water clean, and the tannins will help them heal and relax him. used to happen to Cup all the time~!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

Thank you!!!

:D

Oh... do I need to wory about this happening a lot?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #9 
Luimeril

only if he flares alot. i couldn't stop Cup from flaring(after Freya passed away, he seemed to hate the world and would flare at EVERYTHING. me, the sound of the dogs barking*no lie!*, bugs, water droplets, his reflection, paper....), so he kept doing it till his fins were thin and easily torn. just keep your guy calm and relaxed, and avoid making him flare alot(a little flaring is fine, but not alot. x:), and they should heal up and not tear too often. :d
Old 08-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #10 
LittleBettas

Thank you :)
Imma keep him in a seprate room from my other bettas to minimize stress :)