Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #1 
Newtonbetta

white dots on tip of fins

My veiltail has these little white spots on the tips of his fins. Nothing on his body, just the tips.

I've seen ich before and I don't think this is it. He's not doing the scratchy thing or behaving erractically.

Any ideas? I added aquarium salt last night. Temp is about 81. 10gal filtered.
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #2 
Newtonbetta

Update: I did a 75% water change and turned heat up to 82. 2 TBS of aquarium salt.

I'm treating it as if it's ich, even though its not on his body.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #3 
Newtonbetta

I finally got a photo. Note the white gunk on the tips. This isn't ich, is it? It's not on his body.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #4 
dragonflie

It's hard to tell from the picture, but based on the description I'd hazard that it's fin regrowth or excess slime coat. Ich looks like grains of salt, slightly raised.
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 
flowerslegacy

Hi Newtonbetta, If you could answer the questions below it will help us decipher what may be going on with your betta. Ich is usually first apparent on the fins, just because it's an obvious place for us to see it. Ich can travel through the water, which makes the gills an obvious place for it to latch on. However, it's too small for our eyes to view it. Once it blooms, we see it in the form of white dots. Personally I don't think it's ich, but we'd need more info.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #6 
Newtonbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerslegacy View Post
Hi Newtonbetta, If you could answer the questions below it will help us decipher what may be going on with your betta. Ich is usually first apparent on the fins, just because it's an obvious place for us to see it. Ich can travel through the water, which makes the gills an obvious place for it to latch on. However, it's too small for our eyes to view it. Once it blooms, we see it in the form of white dots. Personally I don't think it's ich, but we'd need more info.

Hi all, please see responses below

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82F
Does your tank have a filter? Aquaclear 20
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes on the side of the divided tank w/o the filter
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, two bettas and a divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? standard betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechloronator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Have not in over a month. However, all water tests have always been normal. Tank is 11 months old and cycled.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white gunk on tips of tail. looks almost like dead skin you get after a sunburn
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not yet
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? raised heat to over 80 (usually 78), 2 TBS of aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)?
not sure, purchased in Oct of last year (2010)
Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #7 
flowerslegacy

I don't have experience with tail re-growth, so I can't make a good comment on that issue. However, your husbandry is stellar, so it doesn't appear to be a fish care issue in any way. Your little guy has long flowing fins, so it could be what dragonflie stated above - tail re-growth. Is he housed in the section with the filter? If so, he easily could've had the ends of his fins damaged by the intake tube. That's typical, if you don't have your intake tube baffled. Also, check all your decorations. Plastic plants are a #1 culprit for fin damage. I ahve two divided 10gals and my boys looooove to swim around their 5 gal space. Lots of area for fin damage. Just a few pieces of input I can offer. Others with more experience will be able to pinpoint your issue. I have ich experience but at this point, I still don't think it's ich.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 
Newtonbetta

Thank you for responding. He's actually on the "weak" side, the side without the filter. The plants are silk, although there is a rock decoration in there that might scratch him.

For the time being I'm keeping the temps up like its ich, and monitoring. But right now like I said it looks more like shed skin than ich "salt" spots.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #9 
Newtonbetta

Well, it's been 5 days since I turned the heat up, added salt and done 50% water changes. No change.. The gunk is still on his tail. I'm still thinking its not ich, it doesnt look salty and its not on his body, just the tips of the tail. His behavior hasn't changed, still active and eating.

But it looks like crap and worries me its not improving.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #10 
flowerslegacy

I'm more convinced that it's not ich. Ich moves fast. Once you see the dots, it moves to the body quickly and you would have dots all over by now if it were a parasite. Here's what I reccomend: Do a search through our Fish Disease threads and research fin rot and fin melt. I was just on a thread called "Wierd Whiteness on Tail" and someone posted great pics of fin melt. Find that thread and take a look to see if the images are what your experiencing. I can tell you for fin re-growth, all that is required is clean, clean water. Clean water will assist in keeping any bacterial infections at bay. Fin Rot or Fin Melt is a bacterial infection and requires meds. Sakura8 is a great resource and you can PM her for her assistance if you feel you're at a loss. However, lots of folks have fin rot experience and can help you with a treatment plan. Beyond ich I have little or no experience with health issues.