Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Question A few questions

Hi guys, I'm currently doing a crazy load of research to understand how to breed my bettas and take care of fry. I have a few questions, they are about some things that I've heard locally, not online.. And a few that are just general clarifications.

1) Is monsoon a wrong time to be breeding my bettas? My lfs guy who is also a breeder said it would be difficult during this time. I plan on breeding sometime mid September when the rain is less.

2) He says microworms are not necessary for new born fry, they can't eat them.. Isn't microworms a good first food? I was going to use it as one with infusoria, he suggested using infusoria, eggwhite and powder food only. I'm confused.. Also exactly how bad does it smell? Will I get thrown out of my apartment for it? Lol!

3) Is a 5 gallon tank ok for breeding and rearing fry? I'm willing to get a bigger tank if absolutely necessary.

Thanks! I'll ask more as I go forward. :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #2 
betta lover1507

i could answer number 3: i would suggest a 10 gallon or up because, there will be more aggression in a smaller tank. to gallon is easy to maintain too.
but that is my opinion.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Thanks bettalover, I'll keep it in mind. :)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi guys, I'm currently doing a crazy load of research to understand how to breed my bettas and take care of fry. I have a few questions, they are about some things that I've heard locally, not online.. And a few that are just general clarifications.

1) Is monsoon a wrong time to be breeding my bettas? My lfs guy who is also a breeder said it would be difficult during this time. I plan on breeding sometime mid September when the rain is less.

By monsoon, do you mean rainy season? If so, yes if you breed out doors and don't use heaters. Temp tend to drop during this season and remain low for quite a while, thus deadly for fry. Even adults may have trouble if kept out side.

2) He says microworms are not necessary for new born fry, they can't eat them.. Isn't microworms a good first food? I was going to use it as one with infusoria, he suggested using infusoria, eggwhite and powder food only. I'm confused.. Also exactly how bad does it smell? Will I get thrown out of my apartment for it? Lol!

Not true. All micro critters are good for fry. Though I have never used microworms, I've heard great things about them. If you can culture a big amount of infusoria, that would be better - for the first week. But I suggest you add other microcritters or egg yolk.

Appetite IMO depends on water quality. If it's good, then the fry will have bigger appetite. Otherwise they tend to be reluctant to eat.

3) Is a 5 gallon tank ok for breeding and rearing fry? I'm willing to get a bigger tank if absolutely necessary.

Breeding, yes. Rearing fry, no. You can keep fry in a 5g for a while. But eventually you need to move them to a bigger tank..... unless you have a very small spawn. Besides, bigger tanks would mean less wc.

Even 10g wouldn't be sufficient for a rather big spawn. If your numbers reach a few hundred, you would need to do frequent wc on a 10g.

Thanks! I'll ask more as I go forward. :)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #5 
CrowntailTwitchy57

i heard somewhere that you can feed STRAW to betta fry... dunno if it's true, it says it gives them the nutrients and everything, just google it to be sure!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As far as I know the straws are suppose to produce microcritters. The fry doesn't actually eat the straw. There are tons of methods in culturing infusoria and other microcritters. You'd have to find what best suits you.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

I think by straw you mean infusoria that is made by culturing hay. XD I don't think they could survive off straw..
Hey indjo, thanks for your input!
Is it ok if I'll be spawning them indoors with a heater in a tank and stuff?
I'll be doing the infusoria as well as the MW.. So I'll continue infusoria for a week and then move to MW and BBS.. Does that sound ok?
If I spawn them in the 5g how would I move them to a bigger tank? Or should I not bother with the small tank at all?

Anyone with any experience of the MW smell XD?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That sounds great.

IMO you should at least wait until the fry are about 3mm long (about 10 days or so). When I breed in small containers, I really use small ones. lol. So I just let the plastic container float for a while then gently pour everything into the grow out. Perhaps you could either slowly pour them into the grow out or if you're worried about shocks, you could move them to a small container with their old water. Then float it in the grow out and release.

I can't answer your last question coz I haven't used them and I can't smell. lol
Old 08-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

I personally use 3 types of microworms and my fry love them :)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

Thanks again indjo, I think I'll try doing the 2nd option or just go for a big tank, I don't want to mess up.. I'm not sure how much confidence I'll have to be pouring them and moving them. Lol!

@amy- There are 3 types of microworms? o.O How?
The ones I'm getting are cultured on moist bread.. Everyone keeps going on about how bad they smell, I really don't want someone at home throwing them out. D: Can you give me a small intro or a walk through for how you keep your microworms? If it's not too much trouble.. :)