Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Betta Care For Smaller Tanks And Large Bowls

Tips For Care Of Smaller Tanks and Larger Bowls

Hey there! I've noticed alot of controversy over tank sizes. Some insist bettas need 2.5 gallons of water or higher to thrive and be happy, but this simply isn't the case. With the right care, any betta is very happy in a one gallon bowl!

I will give tips on how to take good care of your fishy friends in the smaller tanks and bowls. Ways to make them happy and healthy and live for many years!

Tank Cleaning

With a smaller tank comes larger responsibilities. Rather than one weekly water change if you had a tank anywhere from 4-7 gallons, you must change the water 2x a week.

For one gallon unfiltered bowls, I would suggest 100% water changes 2 times a week.

Tank Acessories, Plants, Caves And More

Even if your fish lives alone in their own small bowl or tank, you must still keep in mind that just like humans they do get bored and scared with commotion. I would suggest placing 3-4 plants that are spread out around the tank or bowl, giving them places to sleep, play and hide. I would also suggest putting some sort of small cave. No lava rocks, they can damage their fins. Make sure the cave is big enough for them to hide behind or big enough to swim inside of.

Heaters and Filters

You will have a hard time finding a filter for a one gallon glass bowl. Filters are not needed if you perform the 2x weekly water changes, which are fast and easy.

Heaters are needed year-round depending on where you live. If you live up North, where it is cold or breezy most of the time, a heater is needed. If you live in the far West or South, you can get away with not using a heater in the Spring-Summer months. However, you still do need heaters for the Winter-Fall months. It is very important you do not over-heat your tank/bowl. Never get a higher voltage heater, especially for a 1-gallon. You may fry your fish!

So, I hope I gave some of you some helpful tips! Thanks for reading!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Not sure if you seen this....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=78317
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #3 
missm83

i just got my 1st betta fish, i dont have much space so i got a small bawl for it..i just want to make sure he will be happy in it.. thanks for this post :)
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #4 
Jrf456

No OFL , I didn't until now.

And no problem missm83 :)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #5 
missm83

i up graded to a 1gallon tank

i know a 1gallon is not big but def bigger then the small fish bowl i got..petco employee told me that it was a perfect size ..i felt bed for the little guy so i got a small tank thats 1/2gallon bigger...he seems to be very happy in it! :)
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote