Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Ack! Plant help!

I'm new to plants >.> I bought an anacharis and a marimo ball last week hoping it would be alright since everything I've read about the plants say they're low maintenance and great for beginners. Katamari (the name of my marimo ball >.>;) seems to be doing great, but while I was changing the water to my fish tank, I noticed the anacharis seemed to be melting O.o; I had gotten some Flourish to give the plants a tiny boost, and I'm starting to think maybe it was too strong for the poor little anacharis... ;__; There were still a few tiny sprigs that seemed salvageable, so I'm going to quarantine the pieces for a few days without the flourish and see if they do alright on their own...
Could anyone give me any advice on the plant? I feel absolutely horrible that I pretty much killed something that was supposed to be easy to care for... -.-
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #2 
N03113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
I'm new to plants >.> I bought an anacharis and a marimo ball last week hoping it would be alright since everything I've read about the plants say they're low maintenance and great for beginners. Katamari (the name of my marimo ball >.>;) seems to be doing great, but while I was changing the water to my fish tank, I noticed the anacharis seemed to be melting O.o; I had gotten some Flourish to give the plants a tiny boost, and I'm starting to think maybe it was too strong for the poor little anacharis... ;__; There were still a few tiny sprigs that seemed salvageable, so I'm going to quarantine the pieces for a few days without the flourish and see if they do alright on their own...
Could anyone give me any advice on the plant? I feel absolutely horrible that I pretty much killed something that was supposed to be easy to care for... -.-
Anacharis melts with excel, I know that for certain. And I'm pretty certain that high light can give it some trouble. Do you have it floating or planted? I found with my tank, having it floating was not good due to the light in my tank. Once planted, it did better. it's at least very cheap to get more if necessary.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

I was thinking about getting more, but I wanted to figure out what I was doing wrong before burning more money. It's cheap, but I'm in college, so nothing is really cheap, ya know? ^.^;
But yeah, I don't believe I used excel 'cause I know I read that it wasn't good for the plant... On the bottle it just says "Flourish" and it's made by Seachem, I believe(?) I don't have anything extravagant for lighting. My small 1.5 g fish tank sits on a book shelf and I actually took two night lights and it gives off pretty nice lighting.. The light bulbs are only 4 watts each. Maybe they're not strong enough?
I had some planted in the substrate (which all it is is gravel) and the shorter stems I had after pruning them, I left floating. They seemed to be doing good at first, no problems at all... and then today, I tried grabbing them, and some of it just *plsh* dissolved ;__;
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #4 
Creat

I didn't know anacharis melts with excel... mine never has... maybe im weird any case try some java moss and java fern all do great and easy care and they love having that little extra boost, and your lighting should be just fine... they say bout 3 watts per gallon is a good rule of thumb
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #5 
N03113

What are your inhabitants? Just a betta?

From what I've researched, Anacharis will melt with spikes of Excel... if you dose excel daily at low levels vs the one time hit to a tank weekly, it won't melt.

It's not just a watts issue with the lights, but the type of light too.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
Thunderloon

Red Wendtii (crypt) is an excellent and vigorous plant in small to large aquariums. I had one floating free for 3 days in my guppy tank and it started growing into the pre-filter sponge XD

The anacharis; plants with water rhyzomes - the above rock white fiber root things - have to have these left above the stones/gravel/sand/concrete impregnated carbon fiber sponge of poop.... if they don't they assume the entire stem is buried under a log or such and will melt the whole thing to keep from harming the main plant by wasted resources.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

N03113: Um. The only living things I had in my tank are the marimo ball, the anacharis, and betta.
Is it possible that I put too much flourish in the water? I'm not a math person, and I was worried I was putting in too much for what was recommended.. Otherwise, would you say my lighting isn't really adequate? Like I said, I only have two nightlights hanging in the bookshelf and they are 4 watts each. I was worried that the lighting wasn't adequate, but I figured I'd try it anyway.
Thunderloon: The only place I'm able to go to for aquatic plants at the moment is Petsmart. I don't believe they sell Red Wendtii, but I'll check it out. I didn't know it would melt if burried too far, I must've overlooked it while trying to research about the plant.. I didn't see any of the 'rock white fiber root things' you're talking about, then again, I'm not sure what it looks like to really know what I'm looking for ^.^;; I'm starting to think burying them too far might've been the main culprit... Right now I have the plants sitting in a small cup for QT.. They're not burried or anything.. If they seem to pick up again and find it okay to put in the tank, should I leave the plant floating for now? Gah, I'm really not sure what I should do at the moment -.-
Old 08-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Most plant failures are related to the wrong lights....kelvin is more important than watts especially in the small tanks...you can see the light but the plant can't see it due to being the wrong color spectrum/wave length....for plants you want 6500k bulbs is closer to the color of the sun- that are under 1yr of age...the color spectrum of the light bulb changes over time and we can't see it but the plant can.....and this hinder photosynthesis...energy...growth...etc.....also, photoperiod...with plants you need to start with 10h/day....

With Anacharis...you have different ones/types that look a lot alike...Egeria densa that is hopefully what you will get since it will tolerate warmer water and low light...
Elodea canadensis is a cold water plant and the temp we keep our Betta will cause it to slowly melt and die..
Then you have Lagarosiphon major that also looks a lot like the other two but has denser more curled leaf that is cold water...all three are sold as pond weed or common aquarium plants that have different needs
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

I have had horrible luck with anacharis. I finally gave up on it after buying many bunches of it and having it only live for 1 week...it did the same thing. Melted. and turned my water a mess.
The only thing I could figure is that I kept getting sold the cold water variety of anacharis. My other stem plants are doing great...
Rotala is one of my favorite stem plants..It grows fast and is pretty hardy for me with just proper lighting and water column ferts.
With low light I would go with java fern,different types of mosses, anubias and crypts.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 08-27-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #10 
N03113

Agreed, most stores will sell the cold water variety as they are most commonly sold to tanks with coldwater fish, like goldfish - especially since these tank ammonia.

I buy my plants online because major chains kinda fail when it comes to aquatic plants - unless I am specifically buying one in a tube and know it's aquatic, like my swords, or if it's anubia (they've been recently carrying more anubia already tied onto rocks and driftwood.)

Anubia is another great low light plant. Extremely low maintenance and beautiful shade of green. Vallisneria Spiralis is good too - grows tall like anacharis and easy to trim. Nice for backgrounds. I think I want to get some too! Val has a lot of varieties too - Jungle Val is common and can be sensitive to excel.