Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 
Like You

Cory's?

I bought a emerald green cory today and it's sitting in the bag in my betta's tank. My betta keeps flaring and I'm not sure how this will end?

tl;dr -- is it okay to have a cory with my betta?
Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #2 
Hooperman42

I have a big blue Betta named Spencer with four Cory cats... No issues. He will flare at em and chase em and when he catches them and gets the cold shoulder ...they act like he doesn't exist except to dodge from...he back off. Never an issue and fun to watch him as he relentlessly try's to pick at their little algae wafer while they devour it and kick him out of the picture. Personally I think he could care less. He is also very active and the little cat mouse game is fun to watch and at no time do the cats look the least concerned. Nor does he in the long run. I have a terrific fish store in the orlando area and these guys know everything. Just need to walk in and see the zillion of crystal clear salt and freshwater tanks to know that. They tell me the same thing all the time....leave it alone! Don't fix what's not broke. I started with a string of four dead bettas one after another from pet smart and those folks are clueless. The fish each lasted a week. This dudes happy as a lark, from the new shop. They just smiled when I mentioned petsmart.

Last edited by Hooperman42; 08-27-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Hooperman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #3 
Hooperman42

By the way it's a 10 gallon with heater at 80 and a 20 gallon filter set on low flow. Plastic plants and my real cats walking up to it all day. They could care less about the fish. Other than a yawn now and again.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like You View Post
I bought a emerald green cory today and it's sitting in the bag in my betta's tank. My betta keeps flaring and I'm not sure how this will end?

tl;dr -- is it okay to have a cory with my betta?
This depends....what size is the tank, filter, live plants, additives used in the tank, nitrogen cycle established...... how many corydoras did you get.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #5 
Like You

@OFL - 10 GAL, 1 cory, filter, a few new live wisteria's, water conditioner..
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Good that you have a filtered 10gal, however, since corydoras are social fish you need at least 2-3 more.....otherwise they can be stressed and you will not get to see the more natural behaviors......

They need smooth substrate for the barbels-otherwise they can be damaged when they root around, they can be sensitive to salts and medications so be careful with use, feeding can sometimes be an issue in mixed species tank with a Betta due to Bettas being such pigs...lol....they often will eat the corydora food-overeat and get sick...little bugger....lol.....

Be sure to properly acclimate the corydora to both temp and chemistry by adding small amounts of tank water to the holding bag......personally and highly recommended.....that the corydora be QT for at least 3 weeks before adding it to the Betta tank.....
Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #7 
Like You

I put him/her in a QT tank :)
I have another question -- some of the cory's water got in my betta tank; is that okay?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Its best if pet shop water doesn't get in your tank...but no big deal...easy fix....make a water only change to be on the safe side.....
Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #9 
Hooperman42

Smile I've never had problem with petshop water

But I deal with an excellent place but better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its best if pet shop water doesn't get in your tank...but no big deal...easy fix....make a water only change to be on the safe side.....
Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #10 
Like You