Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Please help :,(

Norbert my hmpk jumped out of his tank, I was in there talking on the phone and saw something on the phone and thought it was the filter cover from his tank which I took, well I happen to look over again and see him move. His fins are alil dried out and clenched and he is belly is bleeding or has some blood and he was swimming when I put him in qt but then he started to tip on his side almost horizontal breathing very heavy I added some pre mixed dechlorinated water with stress coat and aq salt to his qt tank. he is in my room in the dark is there anything else I can do?
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #2 
MaggieLynn

Here are some pictures I took
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I'm sorry to hear that. I would suggest you keep him in a dark area, or drape a towel or something similar over the tank. This should help him de-stress. Otherwise all I can suggest is clean water, stress coat, and possibly lowering the water level so he can reach the surface.
Hope he makes a good recovery. And hope someone can offer more advice.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

My sister and I put our female that the cat attacked in her cup with dechlorinated water, raised the water temp to 84*F, and kept her in the dark. She is perfectly fine now, so that's all I can suggest. I think you've done the best you can for a spur of the moment save. I know it's recommended to get your hand(s) wet before you pick them up if they jump out, but I think it's more of a panicked reflex to just pick them up.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

I grabbed a plastic dish thing that is shaped like bread that you put sandwichs in scooped him up and dipped it in tank water then i grabed a qt and added clean water and added him to it with some tank water i might lower the water more cuz he is breathing hard and you can see the stress coat is off. the only lights on are from my other fish tanks right now i even through a heater in there from a diff tank cuz his home tank is heated by a lamp and my room is warm the water is about 81 right now. like i mentioned there is stress coat and aq salt. he doesnt look good. im not sure how long he was out of the tank, i was on the phone in my room for maybe ten minutes before i realized it was him on the floor, he looked black and i thought he was the cover of his filter which is on the floor with alot of other things it wasnt untill he moved. today is not a good day for my fish, another boy was acting very lethargic so i put him in qt cuz he is never like that but i think that was just him needing some fresh water due to algae in his tank. and my new boy I got today i believe as acute sbd (thank you petco)and one of my catfish died today. no luck at all :(
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Sounds like you're doing everything right, now it's just up to him. My girl was the same way for a while, but she looked to be fine in the morning. Kept her in qt for another day to make sure before adding her to the sorority again.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

Before I go to bed ill probably lower the water alil bit for him
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #8 
MaggieLynn

i lowered the water level but he is still struggling. he just lays at the bottom of his tank only moves to try to get air :( it breaks my heart. his whole body rocks back and forth he is breathing so hard :( :( :(
Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

I don't think you can do anything else except for hope for the best. I really hope he makes it through.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #10 
MaggieLynn

I have a big feeling that he wont :( he just looks so bad. work is going to suck tomorrow.