Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #1 
Yurusumaji

Unhappy Should I Do Anything Else?

It appears Gyarados got stuck on a plastic plant at the bottom of the tank. The plant has been removed as well as another it came with. He did not eat the following morning, but did start eating about 24 hours after the incident. The rest of the info can be found below.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food & Dried Bloodworms (once a week).
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.
Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Betta Water Conditioner.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Left pectoral fin is damaged.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? A bit lethargic, wanting to hide more, no longer coming to the top when we open his lid for feeding time (but will come once we have dropped the food in and is eating) and being much more fearful of activity around his tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Wednesday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. API AQ salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe 3-4 months (wild guess).
Yurusumaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #2 
BettaRepublic

Well don't take this too seriosly becuase I don't know too much about this, but I think it's just a fin tear. I don't know about the lethargy, though.
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #3 
Yurusumaji

I was thinking it could just be from the stress of the incident. He was stuck on the plant at the bottom of the tank and I had to free him.

I was really just wondering if the AQ Salt should just be a one-time or every so often. I am picking up Stress Coat today to try to help him out a bit more. Is it safe for me to put Stress Coat in his tank right now?

He's doing a little better everyday, but he is obviously still very nervous. He is also down 2 plants, so I am going to my LFS today to look for some silk plants. I will never get plastic plants again. I'm a bit of a worry wart, so I apologize if I'm overreacting. Feel free to slap and shake me and yell at me to calm down.

He's my only fish and I adore him. I just want to be sure he's okay.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #4 
Comet1993

When my fish got injured, I was instructed to just do more frequent water changes to make sure the water is extra-clean.. My fish is in a ten-gallon, too, and I had to do about a 25% water change every other day. Hope it helps! Must have been super-traumatic for the fishie. :( And for you! I'm glad he's alright. Also, maybe his lethargy is due to the tear in his pectoral fin? I may be mistaken, but aren't those the fins that mainly propel them through the water? The ones on the side that are always moving? Maybe he has limited mobility now due to the damage on his little pectoral fin..
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Maybe just keep the lights off for a few days and let him be besides feeding time. Hes probably just a little stressed out; a few quiet days and some extra clean water, as advised previously(though Id probably say just 30% or so twice a week should do it)and he should be alright :)
What kinds of other plants/hiding places does he have in the tank? If there isn't much else, he also might be feeling a little 'exposed'.....bettas come from dark and densely planted waters in the wild; they feel a lot more comfortable the more places they have to hide. It also keeps them busy, swimming around all their caves and plants ;)

But I would suggest upping your regular water change schedule anyway....you should be doing partial changes once a week(around 25-30% should be just fine for one betta in a 10 gallon)in any stable, cycled tank regularly.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #6 
Yurusumaji

Thank you so much for all of your help.

He does have his big skull decoration, which he currently spends most of his time in lately. He also seems to be favoring the bottom of the tank a little more. I just got 2 silk plants and some Stress Coat for him since he had to have 2 plants taken out after the incident.

Comet - I think that you have a very good point about the fact that he tore a pectoral fin instead of something he uses less for swimming like his dorsal or anal fins. It's probably not very comfortable for him to move around too much or too quickly.

DragonFish - I will do 25% changes twice within the next week and then I will up the regular cleaning to 25% once a week for him. :)

I really appreciate all the help.