Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

My Attempt at Homemade Divider

So this is it... I am personally proud although I know I could've done better.

The glue causes a ridiculous mess (or maybe I caused a mess), and I am scrubbing and scraping hard to clean it up.

Right now, my two Bettas are in a 2.5 gallon divided down the middle, and it is very clear that the two know of eachothers' presence. My older Betta flares up to about 4 times the size of my new guy.

Last edited by Vaughan06; 08-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 
Vaughan06

Now that I am done with the clean up, what should I check for to ensure it is safe for my Bettas?

I filled it with water and the only thing I noticed were bubbles forming on the silicone.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #3 
lordadamar

I thought about using that exact same material for a Divider my only concern was, if the rigid stuff constricted water circulation to much... Have you tested it?

Looks good though..
lordadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #4 
CrowntailTwitchy57

maybe what you should do is put only one betta in for the night on one half, and see if he can get to the other side. it looks really good, but you may wanna test it to be safe, you don't want any accidents!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #5 
TequilatheBetta

that does look good! Nice work :)-
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #6 
Vaughan06

Everything seems to be going fine.

My only concern is the water circulation. When filling the tank, it filled evenly and water had NO problem moving through the mesh. However, the heater is on one side, and I noticed it isn't holding a high temperature on my thermometer (which is on the opposite side). It changes between 74 and 78. Before the divider, it use to hold a constant 76 degrees. I use a Tetra 2-15 gallon heater, so maybe that is the problem.

They noticed eachother in this picture, but my CT turned around a split second after noticing the DT. Sometimes I'll see one dart out of their corner towards the mesh like, "WHAT IS THAT I SEE OVER THERE???"... but so far they go about their own business.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #7 
fisherish

i'm looking to make a divider for my 10 gallon! what is that blue material you used? also, do you know how much a 10 gallon divider would cost (roughly) at a LFS? just weighing out my options here :) that divider looks great by the way!
fisherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #8 
fisherish

also, is the blue material stuck to the side with aquarium sealant?
fisherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #9 
Vaughan06

Yes, I used aquarium adhesive that I purchased from Lowes Home Imp.

The blue strips are from report binders that I found at a local office supply store. There is a thread on this forum that has a tutorial on how to make it. It is a fun project.

I wouldn't buy a divider already made because all of the dividers I've seen hang on the aquarium with unattractive hooks. I think you're better off making one with colors you like and better fit.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #10 
Kytkattin

Very nice! I haven't noticed much problem with heating, but my 5 gal tank has a 50W heater.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote