Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #1 
bluefishy

Is this fin rot or not?

I have my blue betta for several months already but I recently noticed his dorsal fin's edge suddenly turned white. I searched the web but couldn't tell if this is fin rot or not. I need some help to determine if it is or not and what to do to treat him. Currently he swims normally and even made a bubble nest but I am concerned if this is something serious. I have already started changing his water every other day. Can someone please help? Here are some of the pictures I took below.

Last edited by bluefishy; 11-09-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: corrected pictures
bluefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

It looks more like normal pigment/color change....he might be a marble... to be sure...

What size is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, wter temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, any tank mates and has he ever been sick, if so-details....

Lovely fella...nice find...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-09-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 
bluefishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum.....

It looks more like normal pigment/color change....he might be a marble... to be sure...

What size is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, wter temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, any tank mates and has he ever been sick, if so-details....

Lovely fella...nice find...
He is in a small 1 gallon tank and I usually do 100% water change per week. I started doing 50% water change every other day this week. Water temp is 76F, no filter, silk plant, no other tank mates and never been sick. He is eating normally.

I am just curious if it is color change why it is bleeding the white color to the body as you can see here:

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #4 
Myates

(For the original poster)

Aww he's so handsome!

Here is a thread.. I would look at this and if you believe it's the same thing, post in it.. there has been something going on with member's blue boys similar to this.

This thread

Last edited by Myates; 11-10-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSushi View Post
I have Sushi in a

10 gallon w
Top Fin filter & heater

Feeding : Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits 2 p x a day

Tap Water changes 10% x 1 week with Slime Coat Conditioner & it sits out for a full 48 hrs

ph is 7.00
temp. 75-79 degrees
nit. is 18

I have two blue mystery snails in his tank as well as 1 lone ghost shrimp.
For the past week Sushi has been staying mainly in his hiding cave & only coming out to eat or flare at my finger when I feed him.

I noticed last week that his fins looked kinda ragged? I started him on BettaFix (which didn't do crap for him). I used the right amount of meds per gallon & took out the carbon filter for the 7 days I was treating him. I also waited a week to do a water change & monitored him daily.

I'm kinda freaking out a this point because he seems to be on the mend but his body & fins look like they have cotton on them now?!? Is that part of the regrowth process or what is going on?

He seems like he is eating fine & swimming around like crazy, no scratching or aggressiveness. Pictures included in post, sorry it's kinda crappy. Thank you in advance!
When you piggy back on someone else's post.. you may not get people to see your post. As most have either read and responded to the original post, or read and moved on. Usually wise to start your own post so you can have people help you :)
Old 11-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

It looks like marbling to me as well. I wouldn't get too worked up about it until you start seeing other symptoms. Just keep up with doing at least 2 water changes and make sure one of those is a 100 percent change since its only a 1 gallon tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #7 
Myates

Could be right 1fish- as he also has white on one of his lower feelers.. I think it would actually be cute if it marbled in that pattern :D
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #8 
bluefishy

Thanks for all the information you have provided Myates. I also thinks that it may have been "marbling" because he does have one of his feelers with a little bit of white color. That white spot was there even since I got him several months ago. I also noticed the color change on the dorsal fin at end of last week. So he already has this color change for almost a week and he still seems normal to me. I don't think he has what you described on the other thread. To be on the safe side, I will do 100% water change more frequently and pay close attention to him to see if there are any symptoms as mentioned in that thread.

Thanks for all your help, myates and 1fish2fish.

Tags
fin rot white edge