Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
rocketshipwalker

Please help, I'm new to the Betta world and very confused.

Hello, all!
My birthday is next month and I've decided that I really want a Betta.
I've been researching them so I can get an ideal tank.
I found a five gallon tank at a local pet store that is in my price range.(It's a normal tank with a hood and light.)
I was also wondering if this filter would be okay?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3858&lmdn=Size
I know I need a heater as well, but I don't know what brand is best. I don't want it to be too expensive though.

One of the main things I am confused about is 'cycling'.
I read the thread about it and I just can't seem to understand it.
I'm also confused about when I need to change the water.
Most of the threads I've read seem to focus on smaller tanks.
So, I'm not too sure what I should do with a five gallon tank.

I'm also wanting to get a moss ball or two. Is there anything I need to know about them?

Are Plecostomus safe to have with a male Betta? If they are, does a five gallon tank have enough room for both a Plecostomus and a male Betta?

At the moment, I think those are my main questions.
Any and all help is appreciated!
rocketshipwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

HI

One of the main things I am confused about is 'cycling'.
I read the thread about it and I just can't seem to understand it.
Quote:
Cycling the tank" means that you are establishing a bacteria bed in your biological filter to remove the toxins that the fish's metabolism creates. There are right and wrong ways to do this, and several things you can do to slow this process (which you don't want to do). There are two steps to cycling, but you don't have to do anything special for either of them. First, your filter will grow a culture of bacteria that digest ammonia and turn it into Nitrite (which is more toxic than the ammonia in hard water or water with a higher pH), then your filter produces bacteria that digest Nitrite and turn it into relatively harmless Nitrate. However, Nitrate will contribute to loss of appetite and stress in your fish, as well as contributing to algae growth, so it is important to do regular small water changes to keep your tank in best condition. Read more on water changes while the tank is cycling.
I'm also confused about when I need to change the water.
Most of the threads I've read seem to focus on smaller tanks.
So, I'm not too sure what I should do with a five gallon tank.

I think if its cycled you only need to do about a 30% change 1X a week, but I dont have filters so I can be wrong. I do a smaller change and then a 100% change.

I'm also wanting to get a moss ball or two. Is there anything I need to know about them?Nope. just be sure to rotate them so the bottom part doesnt die off

Are Plecostomus safe to have with a male Betta? If they are, does a five gallon tank have enough room for both a Plecostomus and a male Betta? I think you need a bigger tank for that. You can divide it and have 2 bettas in a 5 gallon but its too small for anything else except maybe shrimp.

At the moment, I think those are my main questions.
Any and all help is appreciated!
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #3 
caitic10

Welcome to the forums! Tikibirds pretty much explained everything, but I would like to point something out about moss balls.

Moss balls need to be rolled over a couple of times a week. Once a weeek, scoop it out of the tank and rinse it under the tap while gently squeezing it. That will clean it.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 
rocketshipwalker

Thanks for the help!

When I change the water, how do I do that?
Hahaha, do I just scoop some out or is there a special instrument used to do that?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 
rocketshipwalker

I have another question! Haha
I've been reading that Ghost Shrimp are okay to put with Bettas.
How many would I be able to put with a Betta in a five gallon tank?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Not really sure how many you can put with a betta in a 5 gal, your best bet is to get maybe three, and then see if he eats them all (if he does fast him for a few days, that naught piggy!). It's not a good idea for shrimp unless you have lots of hiding places for them.

EDIT:
You can get a siphon or a gravel vacuum to clean. Pet store employees should at least be able to point you to the right section. I'm not sure on the size, but I'd hope they'd have something like recommended for 1-5gal or something like that. But you never know.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #7 
tlyons01

I have just recently purchased a mini-syphon and I think it is rated for 10 gallons. It was really hard to get it started, and I think I stressed out my Betta when I tried to use it. I recommend that you look at the tank size recommendations as well as how big the tube is to your tank.

I agree about the shrimp needing to have plenty of hidey holes.

Just a side note, if you plan to get a betta and already know which tank you want, I recommend that you get your tank first to give you time to cycle the tank. I am cycling a 5 gallon right now, its been going for about 3 weeks almost 4 I think. It has not completed yet. In the mean time, I have him housed in a smaller tank and I have to change his water every 2 days or so. Its a 2.5 gallon. The smaller the tank, the more often you will need to change the water. Some say 100% changes are too much on them every other day, you may be able to change 50% one day and then 100% 2 days after that. You will be able to make that determination. I am using Ammonia to cycle my tank. I had read that it would be faster than other methods, but as it turns out, that is not always the case. My 10 gallon was started a week before the 5 gallon and its been in Nitrite limbo land for almost 2 weeks. If you have access to used filter media from a healthy established tank, I would implement that into your cycle plan as well. Let me lay this all out, I know you said that your birthday is coming up and that you found a tank within your budget, but you asked about a filter and you are going to need a heater. Do you google? If so, google 5 gallon aquarium and then look at the shopping list. You will see many different styles and prices. The reason I suggest this, is that I found what I thought was a good deal from walmart. Its a flat back hex front, that includes the heater and some starter stuff to get you going. The top is bulky, but it has a hinged opening that will make water changes much easier. I believe I paid maybe 30-35 for it. Its acrylic, has good lighting. Amazon has a load of fish equipment to choose from. And depending on how much you give yourself to shop with, they have many super saver shipping deals.

Here is what I think you will need from the get go-
the tank
a filter, HOB or Canister, that decision is up to you and how you wan to set up the inside of the tank (aquaclear 20 is what I have in my 10 gallon and when its running, you can't hear the motor at all, just the water trickling. This is also one that you have control over the flow to slow it for the betta.)You are going to need testing kits. You want to use the drops as they are more accurate than test strips.If you can't get the kit, the main ones you will need are Ammonia, Nitrite and would be good to have nitrates as well. Ph is one you should have its less costly than the others. You will need to have the right stuff to put in you tank, I use ammonia, but there are products on the market that claim they can have your tank ready in days. I have read testimonials to that.Of course you are going to need some type of decoration, floating plants, maybe even live plants and your substrate.

As for heaters, there are many available on Amazon.com. Yours should be pretty inexpensive due to your tank size, I think I have found great deals there. Filters are also better priced there. Shop around. Sometimes you find good deals with many extras. It;s going to be hard not picking out the betta to take home already when the tank isn't ready, so prepare to push that back until you are ready.

I just would like to take a moment to thank you for choosing to do you research and get good information so that you can make the best choices for your betta to be. It;s nice to know there are so many of us that are not just impulse pet shoppers and buy with out knowing how to care for them. You will be a great Betta keeper. I am sure there is more tha I wanted to add, but its late and I am turning to mush, so I will read this again and see whet else I might have to add. If you have questions about the cycling,. I think I can help you out. You can PM me and go from there....Good luck and I think you should keep us posted as things go along for you. I would be excited to see your finished tank

Last edited by tlyons01; 08-29-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: parentheses
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I recently got a syphon as well. I dont think it even moved the gravel but it does pump the water out, once you get it started. It is an aqueon gravel syphon for 10 gallons, I think...

most of my heaters came from ebay. If you are patient, you can get one for a great deal. Just make sure you gt it for the right voltage. Some asian sellers sell them cheap but make sure you get the right voltage setting.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-30-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #9 
Princess Penny

I would recommend an adjustable heater (NOT pre-set). You should only need 50 watts for a 5gal tank. I have a pre-set 50w heater in my 6.6gal and it just is not cutting it (it's the Tetra brand one from Wal-Mart). It only keeps the tank at 74-76 :\ As soon as I get paid on Friday, I'm going to order an adjustable one. The Aqueon brand heaters seems to have pretty good reviews from what I can tell, I'm also looking at a Fluval one...

Last edited by Princess Penny; 08-30-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #10 
rocketshipwalker

Thanks for all the help!
I think I have almost everything figured out now.