Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #21 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I agree with it. It has the essentials, something to get you started... though with no fish being in the tank for a while, I guess you don't have to worry about the conditioner. Still, it's about the same stuff I got with my 10g set. only thing I had to do was cycle, then add plants and fish. Edit: I did have to buy a heater, though I don't use it right now as I live in FL and it's always 80'F - 82'F.

If I may, what was wrong with the 5 gallon? (I'm too curious for my own good.)
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #22 
rocketshipwalker

The five gallon looked the same, but it only came with a hood and it was 30$.
I figure it's a way better deal to get the ten gallon.
Then, all I have to mainly buy would be decorations, gravel, and my Betta.
rocketshipwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #23 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Ah... then yes, the better deal would be the 10g. Good call.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #24 
tlyons01

The otocinclus are better off in groups, from what I have read up on them. One may not be such a good idea, and now that you might well be getting a 10, that changes everything anyway. You have many more options. Also, I would like to add that if you are interested in getting anything that will clean algae, such as Oto's, then you should wait until you have developed enough algae to keep them happy. They will eat other things, like blanched zucchini, but it would be best for them to have access to algae. Not all of them will eat the wafers. I just picked up 6 of them over the weekend. My 42 gallon is super clean, and I am just hoping that more algae grows for them. Also, cory's do better in groups. With a 10 gallon, why not consider dividing it and having 2 bettas? You can build your divider, but remember that they jump so you should also make the "T" topper so they can't make it to the other side...
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #25 
rocketshipwalker

I've though about dividing the ten gallon, but the dividers at the store don't go with the theme I'm planning.
Haha, I'm very picky when it comes to colors.
I'm planning on the tank having black gravel with a little white and red thrown in.
I've found a couple white ornaments I want and then I'm planning a few live plants which are green.
Then I want to find the brightest red Betta. I feel that my idea for colors in the tank will make him stand out even more.
If I could find a black or white divider, that would be perfect!
All the ones I've seen are white and blue, and I don't really want the color blue to mess up my theme.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't have the first clue on how to build my own divider.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #26 
tlyons01

I gotcha, it sounds like you have really thought this out!! It sounds like it will look wonderful with color contrasts. Just a thought, a DIY divider would more than likely be white, and it can be made with report cover sleeves (the plastic part that hold them together) and plastic craft canvas. You can seal it to the inside of your tank walls with a few dabs of silicone sealant. All of these can be purchased at walmart, to include the silicone (GE or DAP). Here's a link for the steps on how to make it...

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/365/

I think I found the other link here in this forum that actually shows the items and how to make the T across the top.. I think

Also, I just want to add about the cycling, someone mentioned that you didn't have to worry about conditioning the water while fishless cycling, but in fact, you WILL need to de chlorinate the water because chlorine will kill out the bacteria you are trying to build up
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #27 
rocketshipwalker

That's awesome! Thanks!
If I could manage that divider, it would be perfect.
I'm worried that I'll be messy with the stuff that holds it to the tank and it wouldn't look neat.
If I did seal it to the tank, would it be possible to remove it?
I don't think I'd need to, but just as a precaution.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #28 
tlyons01

I have wondered the same thing, and I believe you can. Its the same type of sealant that is used in glass aquariums, and that can be removed with a razor or craft utility knife of some sort. I have removed a small section and reapplied the silicone before in my tank so I am betting that it would remove just fine.. :)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #29 
rocketshipwalker

Awesome!
Thanks for all the help.

Here's another question:
I would really like some Ghost Shrimp if my Betta fish wouldn't eat them.
How many would I be able to put on each side?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #30 
dbockrath

I got an aquarium gravel vacuum (I forget what brand) at my LFS for about $12.00 (for my 10 gallon tank). Before that, I had a $5 Top Fin (the Petsmart brand) that hardly worked and fell apart after 3 uses anyway. I'm unemployed and on a really tight budget, but I've learned in the few months since I've started with bettas that sometimes it's better to wait a week or two and get something good than to buy something cheap that's not really going to do what you need it to do.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote