Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2011, 03:44 AM   #1 
input nirvana
New Member
 
input nirvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monterey, California
New and unexpected betta surprise! Your thoughts?

Hello all :)

First post and I'm reading as much as I can much of today, but I need some confirmation, direction, suggestions if anyone would kick in, I would be very appreciative. I want to place an online fish stuff order by Sunday night so it will get here when I return by the end of the week. That's why I'm asking for some thoughts because it's taking a lot of time to sift through this site and I'm a little short on time.

2-3 weeks ago, an employee decided I needed a betta, and brought one to my office and set up a bowl. In the past I've spent a years salary on fish tank setups, (never a betta) and I can't have the little guy in a bowl. I've been woking out of town and back for a day here and there. So I have not been able to make the changes needed until now. I'm sure the water has not been changed every other day and he's at room temp. in the low-mid 70's. Today I got a 15 gallon tank 10x20x18 with an Eclipse hood, put several coffee mugs laying down on the bottom until I can get more appropriate items. Several handfuls of gravel and marbles to catch detritus. I'm placing an online order tomorrow that should arrive by the end of the week when I return. I'm familiar with cycling tanks.

My online shopping cart has this so far:
Hydor ProTherm 100 watt heater, API Freshwater Master Test Kit, feeding ring, bunch of Eclipse filters, glass scrubber, gravel vacuum, Prime water conditioner.

Bud currently has betta pellets, what else could I add to the order for food? Do I need to test water hardness? And is there anything you would change, add, delete? Bud is extremely active, rarely stopping for long and is definitely working the entire territory of the 15 gallon tank. I'll try to slow the water flow rate, but it doesn't seem to be a problem at this point since the tank is 18" tall. Bud is not shy and does not hide, he's always front and center.

Thank you for any help, I want to make his life as good as possible, though I was mad when she brought him to my office, I'm attached and need to pimp out Buds lifestyle asap.

Last edited by input nirvana; 08-28-2011 at 03:50 AM.
input nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #2 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
I think you have everything you need..
maybe add some aquarium salt or silk plants??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #3 
caitic10
Member
 
caitic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
You might want to add a source of protein to the food list. Something like freezedried or frozen bloodworms.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #4 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Hello, and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new boy, and good for you for getting a larger home! He is going to be one happy little guy with a whole 15 gallon to himself ;)

A great way to add some variety to his diet is with frozen foods, Bloodworms, brineshrimp, and you could likely even get away with a couple of other different kinds. A good pellet should be your staple, but replacing a meal 1-3 times a week with something frozen is the best way to give them variety.
I'd steer clear of freeze-dried...theres very little-no nutritional value there, and with all the potential bloating issues its more trouble then its worth IMO.

Sounds like you got a perfect setup and all the right stuff though, and since your familiar with cycling I won't bother with that xD

The only thing I might suggest is start collecting silk plants....its a common misconception that bettas don't like larger spaces in tanks, but the problem usually is the amount of plants/hiding spots in larger tanks. Bettas come from a dark, densely planted environment in the wild....so the bigger the tank, the more plants/caves you are going to want to stick in there to make him feel more comfortable(look into driftwood as well; a nice piece looks really neat in almost any setup IMO and it will provide all sorts of nooks and crannies to be used as caves/something for your betta to swim in and out of and keep him busy exploring).

Otherwise, looks like your all set. :) Best of luck to you and your new fishy companion, and feel free to ask if you have any further questions!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #5 
kathstew
Member
 
kathstew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
If you mean filter cartridges, the pad thingys, you don't need to buy extras. You only need the one the filter comes with. The pad holds the natural bacteria cycle, which helps make cleaning the water easier. All you need to do, is once every few months is swish the filter pad in some tank water. This allows the bacteria to stay in your tank. The bacteria can take weeks to get into your tank, so its easier just to rinse the filter out once and a while, instead of getting a new pad and then needing the cycle to restart.
Do you have plants and decor? Bettas like to have a hidey-hole to hide in, so make sure you have one of those!
Great list! Good to hear you are doing things right, and getting the things you need! :D
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #6 
input nirvana
New Member
 
input nirvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monterey, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I think you have everything you need..
maybe add some aquarium salt or silk plants??
Looking online to add to order, thank you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitic10 View Post
You might want to add a source of protein to the food list. Something like freezedried or frozen bloodworms.
Bud ate a tiny spider that got into the water, boy was that one happy little fish. I'm looking for freezdried to add to order, thank you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new boy, and good for you for getting a larger home! He is going to be one happy little guy with a whole 15 gallon to himself ;)

A great way to add some variety to his diet is with frozen foods, Bloodworms, brineshrimp, and you could likely even get away with a couple of other different kinds. A good pellet should be your staple, but replacing a meal 1-3 times a week with something frozen is the best way to give them variety.
I'd steer clear of freeze-dried...theres very little-no nutritional value there, and with all the potential bloating issues its more trouble then its worth IMO.

Sounds like you got a perfect setup and all the right stuff though, and since your familiar with cycling I won't bother with that xD

The only thing I might suggest is start collecting silk plants....its a common misconception that bettas don't like larger spaces in tanks, but the problem usually is the amount of plants/hiding spots in larger tanks. Bettas come from a dark, densely planted environment in the wild....so the bigger the tank, the more plants/caves you are going to want to stick in there to make him feel more comfortable(look into driftwood as well; a nice piece looks really neat in almost any setup IMO and it will provide all sorts of nooks and crannies to be used as caves/something for your betta to swim in and out of and keep him busy exploring).

Otherwise, looks like your all set. :) Best of luck to you and your new fishy companion, and feel free to ask if you have any further questions!
Bud is a ridiculous swimmer, 80% of the time he is working all 15 gallons even next to the intake and outflow. The other 20% he is near the top facing the side I happen to be on. The tank is on a stand in the "middle" of the room, not against a wall. Couch/living room one side, desk/office area other side. He understands to go into one of the dark tinted glasses I put in the tank, he may have slept in one last night. There is current from weak to strong throughout the tank and he has found the weak areas. He stays there for 20 seconds then starts zipping around, so I'm not to sure that the current flow is a problem. I know a stressed fish, and he is not stressed. I think with the 15 gallon, I should have an easy week as far as the ammonia level is concerned. I'll have someone change some of the water in 3-4 days.

I'll adjust my online order and place it by the end of the day today. If anyone has any places they suggest for any reason, you can feel free to PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
If you mean filter cartridges, the pad thingys, you don't need to buy extras. You only need the one the filter comes with. The pad holds the natural bacteria cycle, which helps make cleaning the water easier. All you need to do, is once every few months is swish the filter pad in some tank water. This allows the bacteria to stay in your tank. The bacteria can take weeks to get into your tank, so its easier just to rinse the filter out once and a while, instead of getting a new pad and then needing the cycle to restart.
Do you have plants and decor? Bettas like to have a hidey-hole to hide in, so make sure you have one of those!
Great list! Good to hear you are doing things right, and getting the things you need! :D
WOW! Really? I had a 9-pak on the order. I'll delete. I bought a 3-pak locally, I guess that will do the job. Not going to worry about new charcoal then I suppose. This is very different than a 180 gallon with African Chiclids (Mbuna).


Thank you everyone for joining in, I'm continuing to read, but again a lot of sorting, (and some worry) so you responding helps me and Bud tremendously! Anything else you offer is helpful. The avatar is Bud in his pad. :)
input nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #7 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
o: My apologies if I sounded like I was implying that he WAS stressed...in fact, he sounded like quite the active and happy little bugger in your first post....I just tend to ramble a little with my advice. ^^;

A few do tend to do much better in larger tanks(usually the younger ones, IME)regardless of plant/cave coverage.....it was just a suggestion to think about; not only does it make bettas more comfortable, but it gives them something to do, swimming around and exploring their plants and caves. Plus, its more fun to decorate and rearrange the more things you have to work with, no? xD

I don't usually order online(and when I do it is just from Petsmart/Petco) so I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for you there.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #8 
input nirvana
New Member
 
input nirvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monterey, California
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you claimed he was stressed, I didn't get that from you. But I'm concerned he is...I worry. I'm the one that's stressed :)

Here is an African and a Malaysian driftwood in a medium 10" that I found online. Is this what you are referring to?




Do I need to buy a water hardness test kit?
input nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #9 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Alright, no big deal then xD It's all good.
He sounds perfectly healthy to me; and he's quite a lovely little boy might I add. Is he a King? o:
Ahh, yes....i know what you mean; it's amazing how attached one can become to these little guys. They're so personable, like little underwater dogs xD

Yes, that is what I meant by dift wood. :) I love that stuff, the way it looks, all the hidey spots....everything about it.

I wouldn't bother with a hardness test kit; it's not something you need to really be concerned about with a betta. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #10 
lordadamar
New Member
 
lordadamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Grant, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by input nirvana View Post
Here is an African and a Malaysian driftwood in a medium 10" that I found online. Is this what you are referring to?
One thing to Note is:

Any kind of Driftwood will release tannins into the water, This is not harmful to the fish... It just will constantly make your water have a Orange-ish / Yellow-ish hue...

Some people think it makes it look dirty... But if thats the look your going do it...

I had Malaysian Diftwood in my Tank got tired of fighting tannins Eventually it will go away but it may take along time...
lordadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering Getting a betta and looking for thoughts/opinions and more! Devotion Betta Chat 6 07-14-2011 04:12 PM
Your Thoughts on This Betta lilchiwolf Betta Chat 11 06-20-2011 04:35 PM
betta sorority plans: your thoughts? lunawatsername Betta Chat 5 05-01-2011 06:10 PM
First betta Any thoughts? BettasAreBomb Betta Chat 4 02-18-2011 04:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.