Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Cloudy water in new tanks. Pictures! Help!

The fish are acting healthy and the same, they don't appear ill at all. Still very active, eating, happy, etc. This has been going on for two weeks in one tank, and the same thing happened in a new 1 gal I set up last night.

The water is cloudy/whitish. There is an oily looking film on the top of the water. The water goes in clear but is cloudy within 24 hours. In my 5.5 gal it gets less cloudy after a few days but still is. This is only happening in the tanks with new gravel and decor and such. Should I soak the decor? In one tank the gravel is natural, and in the other its purple, both are cloudy.

Could this be from too much water conditioner? Any ideas?

film on house
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Might just be a bacterial bloom. My 10 gallon did that after I gave it a good scrubbing and cleaned everything off. It got some sunlight after I filled it up with water and the next day it was cloudy white.

Just up the frequency of water changes or wait it out. It won't hurt your betta.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 
GreenTea

Ok I changed the drum bowl and it's clear now. However, I changed the water in the two 5.5 gals last night as well and now they appear a bit cloudy. This has never happened before. How do I make it go away? Could it be from the dye on the rocks or something? My fish seem happy but it's bothering me!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

From my experience, I just changed the water a little more frequently until it went away. My tank cleared up with 50% changes every 2-3 days in a little over a week, but it was also a 10 gallon so I would imagine that it takes longer with bigger tanks.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #5 
TequilatheBetta

^ditto. Also try keeping the water in a jug and letting it sit for a couple of days, and do 30 percent changes with the aged water and another 30 with treated water.
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote