Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #1 
fishcurl

Transitioning from salt treatment to regular water

Meringue is due to finish his treatment today - 1 tsp aq salt per gallon for fin regrowth/infection protection. Do I need to do anything special to transition him from the treated water to regular conditioned water? I.e., do I just plop him back in after a water change or should I do a slow acclimatization?

Thanks in advance! :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #2 
nel3

i usually just drop the salt content by half on the last day. seems to work for me but thats just me.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Usually with a healthy Betta that was being treated for fin damage with salt...they can usually tolerate going from salt to fresh, however, it is never a bad idea to do a day acclimation by making a 50% water change using fresh dechlorinated water for the replacement water while still in the QT or treatment container...then the next day make another 50% using the intended tanks water...net then add to the tank......provided that the Betta tolerate the 50% with the tank water.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #4 
fishcurl

Thank you both! That makes perfect sense. He seems hale and hearty after his treatment so the 50% transition method should hopefully work.

I'm going to keep him in his hospital tank for a few days more as his big tank isn't ready. I made a dumb mistake with the decor that I'm trying to fix :<

Thanks again!
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote