Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #1 
caitic10

Help Me With Convincing! :P

Im trying to get permisson to buy another betta! Spoof's got a nice tank, which I would love to divide and put yet another boy in. I spotted a couple of gorgeous Orange dalmation halfmoons and super deltas half an hour from my house and I dont think I can live without one....;)

My mom said it completely depends on my dad. I have enough food, supplies and time. All I would need to buy is some more gravel, a divider and the betta. The problem is.....Im completely broke. Ugh...

Anyways, I can save up and in a couple weeks have enough cash. My only problem is my dad.

Any ideas on how to convince him?

Also, I have a quarantine tank, which is bare bottom. How long would I need to quarantine the new guy for, before adding him to the divided tank? Should I add a hiding place, like a mug, to the tank?

Aswell, should I buy a divider? I want a mesh one....do fish stores sell reliable ones? Is there a certain brand I should stay away from?
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #2 
Laki

Not sure about dividers but there are DIYs around so all you'd need is the materials from a craft store!!
As for convincing dad, Show him a picture and tell him how awesome having something that pretty around would be. And phrase it as a loan, you'll pay him back or whatever. Should work!

Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Pick a time where you know your Dad will be willing to listen to anything you say like after dinner. I find discussing it and then doing the math and presenting the price when their in a good mood they'll be more willing and if you mention you'll pay with your own money you'll earn yourself: It's a likely yes.

That's how my mom agreed to let me get a 111 dollar resin BJD if I saved up enough.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #4 
MaggieLynn

make a deal thats how i got my mom to let me get major, but now with norbert in bad condition she is alil happy I got a new one, i told her I would keep my room clean and laundry and such like that all kept up (im a lazy college kid living at home haha) Just offer to do more around the house or do something that will make him happy, you get the fish you are happy he gets you doing *insert word here* and hes happy win win, gravel isnt too expensive, just say you will work it off if you dont have a job. just make good on your promise. tell him how much it would mean to you.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

=D tell him it's a early "(insert day you would get a present here .. x-mas .. birthday .. graduation .. etc)" and by the time that day comes .. maybe he'll forget he already got u a "present" and u get another present ^_^

and then follow it up with .. "i'll take full responsibility" .. and "pleaseeeeeeeee"

usually works for me =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #6 
caitic10

He usually just says "Three is enough!" and when I ask him why, he says "It just is."

But if it lives in a divided tank....isn't it just like having one fish? Execpt for the doubled bioload and more frequent water changes, we wont need another tank taking up space. And one water change helps two fish instead of one. Doesn't that sound a little practical?

Im going to ask him today....I hope he says yes!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 
BettaRepublic

Well, if they're in the same tank, they DO count as one fish. And if you paid for it, there's nothing he could do about it.
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

i hope he says yes !!

*crosses fingers*
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #9 
Cookie Lee Lady

I know the Bettas are addicting! I just got my two earlier this week, and after seeing so many beautiful pictures of other's Bettas, I would love to get a couple more! I hope your dad says yes to your request, but if he doesn't, remember that you do have some great pets to take care of, and, until you get your own place, that is the way it will have to be. I am crossing my fingers for you!
Cookie Lee Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #10 
caitic10

Thanks guys! Im going to ask him after dinner....hope for the best!

Cookie Lee Lady, you're absolutely right! I tell myself that everytime my parents turn down me asking for a pet. I have wonderful pets at home that are my responsibility. :)

I hope that HM is still there! Lol.