Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #1 
PitGurl

Imports harder to spawn?

So I've been reading that imports can be harder to spawn. I've had no luck with mine and some people on FB have been saying the same thing. I wonder if it has to do with the climate and difference in the water here in the US. I thought trying the "thai" way would improve my chances of a spawn but that wasn't the case. Anyone else had problems?
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
BettaGirl290

i don't import anymore o_O so idk
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #3 
Creat

It would be nice to know... I have been wondering also before I have been thinking about buying one
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I didn't have any problems with the import pair I got from Monroe, however they'd been in the US for several months before I got them. They spawned right away for me and very gently.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

IME, bettas that have grown up with you throughout their life will always spawn easier than imports, but imports can and do spawn. I imported a beautiful yellow halfmoon butterfly pair from Thailand that was not compatible...if that helps. Long story short....if you order a pair from Thailand, I advise 2 males and 2 females of what you want to work with.

Last edited by Dragonlady; 08-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
BettaGirl290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I didn't have any problems with the import pair I got from Monroe, however they'd been in the US for several months before I got them. They spawned right away for me and very gently.
:O who did you get it from? cause i live near there and i want to buy a female!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Monroe isn't a place, she's a member who used to post here but got out of bettas for a little while.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #8 
BettaGirl290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Monroe isn't a place, she's a member who used to post here but got out of bettas for a little while.
oh ha ha i thought it was Monroe the place! lol
Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGurl View Post
So I've been reading that imports can be harder to spawn. I've had no luck with mine and some people on FB have been saying the same thing. I wonder if it has to do with the climate and difference in the water here in the US. I thought trying the "thai" way would improve my chances of a spawn but that wasn't the case. Anyone else had problems?
What do you mean? Are they egg eaters, too aggressive, or what? Could you be more specific, then perhaps we (all members) could figure out a way to out wit them...

For some reason nowadays some bettas are hard to spawn and their fry will most probably be hard to spawn as well. So it doesn't matter where you got them from, as long as they have settled in, they should be the same.

IME even the laziest ones can be spawned. They might not tend to the eggs, but if the eggs were fertilized and healthy, they will hatch and you will have fry.

The ones I have problems with are the psychotic egg eaters - specially if they don't spare any for artificial hatching. And then there's the ones that have health issues - I don't understand why they are less energetic when they go into breeding thus the eggs weren't fertilized. Other than those, I have always been able to spawn them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #10 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGurl View Post
what do you mean by the "thai way" how do you do it? and what problems do you have?
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote