Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #11 
cajunamy
Banned

My current spawn, the father was an import.

I just got a pair in, will spawn them very soon.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #12 
PitGurl

Well I have 2 import males and 3 females. 2 HMPK's and 3 DTPK's. I'm spawning in a 7 gallon shallow tub outdoors. Right now the water has been around 80-85 degrees. It's packed with live plants and oak leaves. All my pairs have been conditioned on live, frozen and pelleted foods for a few weeks. They all have been introduced the typical way and I've also tried putting one pair together at night without introductions.

My HMPK female I have had no luck with. She is light colored so she doesn't bar up. She doesn't get eggie and shows no signs of wanting to spawn. My one DTPK female is full of eggs and flirty but is very aggressive. My last attempt with her I had to pull them out for the males safety. Both my males built bubble nests and did alot of flirting but eventually lost interest and let their nests fall apart.

I've lost my window to spawn outdoors now. It was 63 last night. By the time the fry are old enough to come out of the growout it will be way to cold out for them.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

For reluctant females, you could try totally isolating them for a few days. Then flare them to another female. Do this for a few days before showing the a flirting male. If they respond by flirting you can breed them.

For aggressive females, flare her to males. Preferably to very large males. She should change mood from fighting to breeding. BUT sometimes the individual female is simply too aggressive. If so you have to be very patient (for the male's safety). Only breed her when she shows flirting. ..... try flaring her for a long time, taking turns with several females. Then rest her for a day and try flaring her to a flirting male. Keep doing this until she changes mood.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote