Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #1 
Brizat

Are betta concussions possible...? He's definitely hurt.

So, my friend today donated her 1-year-old betta to me today, tank, heater, filter and all. He was fine at her house, etc.

The problem is...

We had him in a water bottle for transport and after tank setup/cleaning/cycling etc. we poured him in but he went out too fast and bashed into his stone decoration :/.

In the 6 hours he's been in the tank I haven't noticed any lesions or bloating...

For the first 2 hours he laid on the bottom of the tank barely moving or breathing... If something disturbs him he zooms around for a while and then settles back down.
More recently he has settled inside his barrel decoration to hide, but I know from experience that he's a really active and spunky little dude. I'd hate for him to die in my care.

I don't know if there's anything I can do to help him get better. Any info is appreciated!
Brizat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #2 
Comet1993

Maybe he's just getting used to the new place. I've heard that bettas may lie around for a little bit while getting used to their new home. Also, yes; concussions are possible in any creature with a brain. Was the water temperature in the water bottle the same as his new tank? Was it the same type of water in his tank, or did you switch him from bottled water to dechlorinated water?
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #3 
earthworm88

Assuming all was right regarding water, water temp etc (since he is still in his old home) I think he probably got a bit stress out from the transport itself. Give him a couple of days to calm down and just monitor for other signs.

That's a generous donation from your friend :D

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #4 
flowerslegacy

Hi Brizat - Welcome to the forum! When moving a betta (or any fish) into a new home and new water, it's really important to acclimate them before releasing them. In your case, this would've been done by floating the water bottle in the tank for at least 15 minutes prior to releasing, as well as adding small amounts of new tank water to the bottle every 3 minutes or so. Fish need to acclimate to the new water temperature as well as the new water parameters ie. pH (water hardness), chemical differences, etc. If you just poured him in, he's probably stressed under all factors. Water shock is very stressful on fish, and in severe cases, deadly, so just keep an eye on him. He sounds a little shocked and stressed because he's hiding. That's normal. Just keep and eye on him and let us know if anything changes. It will probably take him a week to come around. He may not want to eat either, so don't worry if he refuses food. Also, you mentioned tank set up, cleaning and cycling. Cycling can take up to 4 weeks in a new set up. Can you let us know what size tank you have? If it's under 5 gal's, then frequent water changes are better for smaller set ups. There are a lot of helpful and friendly folks on this forum who are happy to get you started with your new friend. Welcome to the wonderful world of betta's!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #5 
Brizat

Thanks everyone!

The water was different in the bottle than the tank, but I used the same conditioner for both and was very careful about the differences in water. (There aren't many, we both use the same city water.) The temperature should have been fine, I floated him for about 20 minutes. The tank is 2 gallons (small by my standards.) He's not the first betta I've had, but the first one to have such a rough move :(

******EDIT******

I just checked on him, it looks like he's only breathing out of one side of his gills. He's still swimming, but not eating. I'll just wait and see.

Last edited by Brizat; 08-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 
fishy friend2

i think he is just getting use to his home when i got my betta he wouldn't even eat and just barely moved at all
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

He's probably playing sick fish.

Birds and other predators don't go after food that is clearly diseased, behaving wrong. He's hiding from whatever it was that socked him.

Yes you CAN give betta concussions and you can break their bones and give them small subcutaneous bleeds. Please remember to be more careful, eh?
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #8 
flowerslegacy

If he continues to only breathe out of one side of his gills, I'd suggest starting a new thread for that specific condition. He certainly could've sustained a little damage when he hit the decoration. I think we all agree that he's stressed and hiding from the move and transport. Also keeping him in a low light area with little or no traffic around him can help him stay relaxed. I'm not a disease or fish health person, but I know we have some resident vets on hand. If you need to start a new thread for the gill issue, they can direct you on suggestions on what may be the issue and how to treat. Hopefully he didn't sustain damage and he'll just come around in a couple of days. Keep us posted!!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #9 
Brizat

Thanks again, everyone!

That's my next plan of action, I've been leaving him alone and keeping the lights down. I noticed that when I turned on my lamp he freaked out and started zooming around until I turned it off. The poor thing is stressed beyond all hell right now. It looks like he's resting on his side or laying on his decorations for support. I'll monitor him more and if I notice anything else wrong I'll definitely post a new thread.

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #10 
jman828

Just follow what Thunderloon & Flowerslegacy are saying as that is my opinion so I can't really add anything to theirs so just follow that and keep an eye on him and try to be more careful next time :)
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dangerous decorations, hurt, moving, trauma