Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Uh... fin rot, I guess?

About a day ago, I noticed that there was a little piece dangling from Jalen's dorsal fin. There were no black or red edges, and this morning I noticed that a teeny piece seems to be hanging on his anal fin as well. None of the pieces have fallen off, and the places where he chewed his caudal fin are healing nicely. I would think that maybe he's chewing his fins again, but he couldn't reach either place. Maybe he's cutting himself on the decorations, but I've had the same decor for almost a month now, so I would expect for him to have hurt himself before now.
Could I have accidentally damaged his fins when I changed his water? I do have to chase him around and catch him in a net with every 100% water change.
I would include pictures, but since he's a cellophane, it really doesn't show up on film. It's barely visible even when I'm looking straight at it.

Housing

What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? around 75
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and occasionally freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day and fasting on Sundays

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat to help his fins regrow

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? nope

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It looks like little pieces of his dorsal fin are falling off
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A day ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I added a very small dose of aquarium salt and methylene blue
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Well, he used to chew his fins, if that counts
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'd say six months
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #2 
freeflow246

Also, the edges of his caudal fin are white. I had assumed that this was new fin growth after he nibbled on his tail some, but could I be wrong? His caudal fin doesn't seem to have receded much, if at all.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Usually the new growth will appear white or clear...so what you are seeing may be new growth....depending on the net and if it was wet before you caught him in it...that may or may not be the reason for the tattered fins....a fine mesh net that has been wet long enough so it is somewhat softened up and no bubble are coming off it...they usually don't cause any problems....unless you have to chase them a lot and then injury can happen from the net or objects in the tank from the chase that normally wouldn't happen with normal swimming...

Your water change schedule looks good and temp and feeding looks good too....you may want to add in an extra feeding and another food item if you can....small frequent meals of a varied diet is best.....the food doesn't have to be Betta specific...look for the first couple of ingredient to be fish/seafood meal or whole and protein of one meal to be at least 46-50%.....

Right now-I would add 1 extra 50% water only water change for a couple of weeks along with the regular schedule and if the areas look to be getting worse-he may need to be QT and a 10 day aquarium salt 1-2tsp/gal and tannins treatment started...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #4 
freeflow246

Thank you! I do have a very fine mesh net, but it is kinda deep, so it might have damaged his fins. I will add the extra water change and food and keep an eye on him. :)