Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 
Hikari

Please help

I'm new here but sorry I can't properly introduce myself right now since I have an emergency. My betta fish that I had for a year and 2 months is suddenly darting back and forth. I have him in a 2 gallon bowl, and feed him hikari bio-gold pellets twice a day 2 at a time. I change his water twice a week, one full and one half. His bowl is heated but not filtered.

I thought at first it might be from amonia, but I don't have those testing strips, and my small town doesn't sell them so I can't get them right now. I did about a 40% water change just now, and I used Prime water conditioner. He's still darting around. He seems to only do this when I come close and look at him. Otherwise he sits at the top of the water in his favorite corner like usual. He usually flares and swims slowly around with his fins poofed up when he sees me, but he usually doesn't dart around and seem like spasming like he is now. He seems extremely aggressive, his fins are all poofed out and he flares. Could someone tell me what could be wrong? Thanks.
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #2 
MaggieLynn

can you fill out the sticky at the top of the disease site that will help members better diagnose your boy
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

do you see any white specks on him or anything at all? When my girls had ich they would dart around other wise known as flash as a way to knock the parasites off.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Hi Hikari
Can you fill these questions out so we can hopefully diagnose him?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #5 
Hikari

I don't see any white specks on him. He's darting around really fast so I can't get a good look at him. He looks normal from what I can tell.

I answered as many as these questions as I could.

What size is your tank? 2 gallons

What temperature is your tank? 24 to 25 celcius not sure what that is in fahrenheit

Does your tank have a filter? No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Is your tank heated? Yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He's by himself

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari bio-gold baby pellets, 4 a day, and a meal is replaced twice a week with freeze dried bloodworms (I can't get the frozen ones where I live)

How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Full change on Monday, half on Thursday

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just Prime conditioner

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Right now nothing that I've noticed

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He just suddenly starting darting around his tank whenever he seems movement outside. He used to flare and swim around slowly, but not darting like that.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Late this afternoon. He was normal until then

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Hmmm... darting usually means internal parasites. :/ But DarkMoon would have better knowledge on that.

For the food though, instead of using the bloodworms as a meal, you really should only use them as a snack like...once or twice a week. The pellets have more protein and nutrients in them. :) PM (private message) Darkmoon about the flashing though. S/he will know more :)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #7 
Hikari

I do use the bloodworms as a snack. Twice a week I replace a meal with bloodworms.

Is there any cure for internal parasites?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

No no no no, I mean as a snack. Don't replace them with a meal. Just feed 2-3 once or twice a week. :P

Yes there is a cure. Lots of cures actually, but the issue right now is that we don't know if that's what your fish has or not- so don't start treating yet- it could harm him.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #9 
MaggieLynn

the freeze dried blood worms expand in the fish's stomach when they re-hydrate which can cause bloating and constipation sometimes leading to swim bladder disease, that is why they shouldn't be a meal just a treat. here is a passage from dark moons disease treatment guide, for internal parasites,

Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
"•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites."
Hopefully this could help you as well until you can contact darkmoon
Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #10 
Hikari

What I meant is twice a week I feed him bloodworms INSTEAD of pellets. I feed him about 3 at a time, and he does only get them twice a week. The rest of the time he gets pellets.

I'm scared to treat him because I have no idea what he's got. He only starts darting around if he is disturbed, like someone looks into his tank or walks past him loudly. Otherwise he sits still in his corner like he always does.

I fed him and he did eat both of his pellets this evening. He doesn't look like he's losing weight. The only thing that is abnormal really is the darting. I will give him a 100% water change tomorrow morning and hopefully it'll help.