Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 
Creat

just unhappy...

everything betta has been wearing me out right now ther not fun sense I lost half my males to some weird internal parasite bout... god I want to shoot something... at least the fry are fine... but I am so worried I will kill them... how do you guys deal with the downs in fishkeeping?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

By not stopping learning till I figure out what went wrong mostly.

Movies, documentaries, books and so on.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I just spent the last hour bawling my eyes out because my recently arrived Betta unimaculata male found the one spot the lid doesn't cover and jumped out.

So not only was it $50 wasted, it was also a waste of a beautiful fish and the loss of one of my favourites.

I sometimes consider getting out of bettas when something like that happens, and this morning I was seriously weighing up my options of what to do with mine. I have a lot of fish, and there are times when I get so run down and fed up I just want to take out a hammer and smash everything to pieces.

However, then I'll see one of my males working on a bubble nest, or giving me that look, and I know I could never get rid of them. Even if they push me ever closer to an early grave.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

Terrifying jumpers, those. Worse than children under your chin!

With the sorority sometimes you get girls that eat too much and die of swelling or girls who hide too much and die of malnutrition... some of my males were too aggressive and kept giving themselves pop-eye from rubbing and I had one who liked to lay on his side. He drown because he'd lose his air bubble.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the momentarily brilliant creatures we keep as pets.

I don't think I'd have gotten another betta when Pheech (first one) died if I hadn't still had seven girls in a sorority. Wyst (my other half) came around and sat down in front of the sorority and started playing with them for a while. We went without a male for a couple days and she'd play with the girls, some of the best I've had were in that tank. She came home a few days later with a brilliant fire-red VT who we named Dart (turns out he had water fleas, easy fixed) who was so hungry he was floating on his side and had actual black-line tail rot. (I'd considered getting him but didn't want to buy her one that might die.)

Dart lived about 9 months, then Emo made it ten and now we have Goat.

Something I DID discover is you should never have just one male. Stagger getting them but if you have more than one, the new one can see how the older one plays and interacts - it helps them learn how to be your pet. Goat got to watch Emo for four months. Now Fluffy is watching goat and Goat is an older fish and Fluffy is adult. When Goat dies Wyst will go find another boy and move Fluffy to the larger tank. Fluffy already knows this. I got him a couple weeks before Emo died.

They're our little bits of happiness, moving flowers, pom-poms of love and attention and if they didn't change us in a way we like then we wouldn't miss them when they're gone.

When sherbert passed I immediately researched everything I could then cleaned his tank up and put guppies in it. They lived and now I have a tank of guppies beside my hand where he was. So sometimes I still reach over and tap the tank for attention... but he's not been there for five months.

I think the thing that really tears me up is when I find something truly special to me, like Forrest (same body type as sherbert but dark dark green), and something goes wrong during that period of time where we leave ourselves open to the new pet so we start to love it.

Forrest died in his cup on the warm pad. I had carefully changed the water in the cup, no idea what happened. It was at 79 degrees, pH 7.3 and just fine when I woke up. But whatever it was that killed him it was my fault and I have no clue how to stop it in the future. Maybe he ate a spider. Maybe he got poisoned. Maybe the bottle of prime I had got too hot and stopped working.

I threw the bottle out and got a new one when I took him in.
So I have this tiny little sharp edged hole of a memory that sits under my right wrist when I type and think about bettas I've lost. Oddly I don't feel bad about it, I just feel that something is missing.

That little bit of me that he and I created together.
I keep several males now, so I can't see Forrest for the trees.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 08-28-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I just spent the last hour bawling my eyes out because my recently arrived Betta unimaculata male found the one spot the lid doesn't cover and jumped out.

So not only was it $50 wasted, it was also a waste of a beautiful fish and the loss of one of my favourites.

I sometimes consider getting out of bettas when something like that happens, and this morning I was seriously weighing up my options of what to do with mine. I have a lot of fish, and there are times when I get so run down and fed up I just want to take out a hammer and smash everything to pieces.

However, then I'll see one of my males working on a bubble nest, or giving me that look, and I know I could never get rid of them. Even if they push me ever closer to an early grave.
+1
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #6 
Abby

hmm like with all animals you mourn and then rearrange and love the rest till you find that next one to steal your heart :/
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 
Luimeril

when Caroline passed, after i worked so hard to help her get better, i cried. i STILL cry about it. i really loved her. she helped me out when i was down, and i felt that i failed her. but, i know i did everything i could to help her, and i know she appreciated it. getting Heavy and Spy in the mail helped me a little, but i think it was getting Scout that helped the most. such an ugly, tiny thing.

getting new bettas doesn't always help, and often when one passes, i resit the urge to get a new one. but, i wanted to help Scout out. that's what gets me though the downs. helping bettas out. be it my current group, or a newbie i pick up from the pet store. that happy wiggle dance, and the bubble nest, make it all better.

Purple's sick, with the same thing Caroline had. i don't know how to treat him at all, because i never figured out how to help Caroline. all i can do, is make him comfy, and it hurts. i love that little guy alot. it gets me down, when i see him hanging out up top, clamped and pale, or hiding in his boat. but, then i sit down on the chair in front of the shelf, and see Scout, strutting around under his huge bubble nest. it's bigger than him, in every way! so, even though Purple's sick, Scout's thriving. i may not be able to help Purple, but i saved Scout, and he's dong amazingly. <3 helps me feel better.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #8 
Creat

Thanks guys I lost all the betta that had ment something to me this past month I hate to play favorites but certian fish made my day a little more then others, I have been looking for a new one anywhere to fill the gap of one of those... I hope I find one
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

i lost 13 betta's this year =[[
my sororities died by (1st) fungus, (2nd) and dropsy
during those sororities i had two males that died, my best male VT betta " skylight" died in a place he never liked by tail rot and no one cared for him because i was forced to give him up to my brother... before that i had a little tank that came with him and my cats would drop his tank and spill, he had this chipped bottom fin that never healed. then i got him a 27 gals. but my parents told me the only way to have female betta's to give him to my little brother because he really wanted fish, i thought he will take care of him i said straight to my brother "take care of him" he said he will, but he didn't ... he will forget to feed him, never clean his tank, etc and then he got 5 tetra's that where mean to the betta so they will nip on him he then gained tail rot which my brother didn't care what happened and it just hurted me so much, because when i had him he will always build bubble nest sneak him little snacks at night, etc. but when my brother had him he would hide in between rocks and stay there. {='[[
then i had a delta tail he had to names mist and rice i didn't had him long but he died unknowingly though =[
but only two survived during my 2nd sorority there names where 'luna" and "lunar" they survived out of 14 betta's {=]
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #10 
Sowman

I recently lost a 46 gallon tank full of fish (maybe 20+ fish). I added some new fish and didn't realize they carried Ich. I tried everything to save them but ultimately they all ended up dying. I was so sad for days, the day they all died I went on a cleaning rampage; cleaning every part of the tank and basically removing it so that it didn't remind me of the fish. So I decided to get a 10 gallon with two bettas instead. These little guys got me back in a really good mood and I ended up relocated the 46g to a better location and just added a few fish to it.

Basically they way I dealt with losing fish was but getting new bettas. I still think of my old fish and I am now really cautious when adding new fish.

Last edited by Sowman; 08-29-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote