Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #1 
Tinman23

Question 50g! Still not satisfied?

So I finally just dropped my betta of 1.5 years into his new, 50 gallon home complete with light, heater, filter and several wonderful decorations which offer several hiding spaces. He has only one other fish right now with him which he does not mind at all (most likely due to all the space). But, for some reason, and I may seem crazy, he doesn't seem completely happy. Am I missing something? Water temp and everything checks out, so why isn't he the happiest fish ever right now? All he seems to do is sit on the bottom in one spot for several hours, and then he'll move a few inches, and settle for hours, i've never actually seen a betta in a space like this, could it just be the way they are?
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 
BettaGirl290

i think hes just getting used to 50 gal instead of that tiny cup
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #3 
Tinman23

Well he's been kept in a 3 liter bowl for the last while, and before that a 3.5 gal. Like I said he's been chillin around my place for the past year and a half :)
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #4 
BettaGirl290

oh xD i thought you ment that you got him since 1.5 years of no-bettas xD anyway, hes probably just like OMG BIG TANK! wait i miss my old ones.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 
flowerslegacy

Just a few questions: Did you acclimate him to the new water properly ie. float him in the tank for at least 15 mins while adding small amounts of water to his cup? If you just put him in straight away, he could be experiencing a little shock. You mentioned there is another fish in the tank. Is your tank established and cycled? Just checking, to see if it's any type of a water parameter issue. Do you know the water parameters? ie. ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc? If the tank is cycled and the water parameters are okay, and if he was acclimated properly, then he's just adjusting. Give him a few days. Every betta I've introduced to new surroundings has taken at least a week to get acclimated. I had one betta that wouldn't come out of their log, another betta that hid behind the filter and another that didn't eat for 14 days. If he doesn't perk up in a few days, let us know.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #6 
Kytkattin

Somewhere OFL posted something about how bettas big fins make it hard for them to swim. It could be that he just doesn't have the strength to move around much. It would be like if you were all of a sudden expected to carry around 50 extra pounds a day.
Also it could be that you don't have enough plants and hiding spots. He might be nervous.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #7 
flowerslegacy

Absolutely Kytkattin! I forgot that my new big crowntail went through that heavy tail problem. It took him quite a while to build up his fin muscles. He was so used to being in a smaller bowl, that he would just lay on the bottom of the tank to rest. In his new 10gal set up it took a while for him to produce the muscles in his big tail to swim naturally. He liked to rest on the top suction cup of the heater because he could relax, but also be close to the surface to breathe. After a couple of weeks he started becoming more active. Now he swims around like a champ and blows huge bubble nests.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #8 
Brizat

I agree with Kytkattin and flowerslegacy, chances are he's just trying to deal with the new home situation and the weight might be a little shocking for him at first. Give him a little time, you can help him out by putting a decoration close to the surface for him to chill on until his muscles strengthen some :)
Brizat is offline   Reply With Quote